II

Liam sat in the stingy pub, watching the football match on the small TV screen in the corner from behind the bar. He felt the smooth finish of alcohol was over his teeth as he threw back his glass of whiskey slamming the glass back to the counter with a loud noise. He tapped the bar drawing the bartender over to him. "Can I get another one Johnny?" Liam asked his voice slurring.

"I think you've had enough Buddy, and my name isn't Johnny stop calling me that." He turned his back to walk away but Liam grabbed his wrist tightly.

"Listen mate, I’ve had a really bad day and I could use another beer. If I'm not mistaken this is a pub and you guys do have beer here right?" Liam asked his hand still tight around the bartenders arm.

"Yes, we have beer here." The bartender yanked his arm out of Liam's grasp.

"Excellent! I'll take another then." Liam said his eyes dark and cold. The bartender reached for another bottle and placed it in front of Liam, he popped the top off the bottle letting the steam out of the tip. Liam took another swig of the drink slopping some down his front as he went.

The football match went to a commercial and Liam saw his and the rest of One Direction appear on screen. Their new single echoing out of the box. They had recorded a commercial for Pepsi a little while back with American football star Drew Brees, Liam remembered how much fun it had been.

"What a bunch of queers!" A voice followed by laughter reached Liam's ears. He turned to see a group of massive men playing pool all watching the TV and pointing. Liam looked at the TV as Niall's face was on screen as he listened to the men.

"Look at that little pussy! I bet they all are gay for each other!" One man shouted to the others. Liam stood holding on the bar for balance. He grabbed the bottle of beer in his hands and made his way over to them.

"HEY!" Liam shouted getting all of their attention. He couldn't tell if there were 4 or 5 men the alcohol blurring his vision. He could barely stand.

"What do you want runt?" One of the men said crossing his arms across his chest. Liam swayed as he took another pull of his beer.

"We're not gay!" He pointed up to the TV at him and the lads. The men all looked at the screen and snickered recognizing his face.

"I bet you and the blond one are together!" The man closest to Liam mocked. "Yea! Where is your boyfriend at fairy?" Said another.

"You want to take this outside arsehole?" Liam said loudly. The men smiled as they moved toward the back door out into the alleyway. The people in the pub continued on ignoring the exit of the 6 men.

One of the men shoved Liam face first into the brick wall, Liam struggled to stand again his legs buckled under his weight like a deer trying to walk for the first time. Liam staggered back to his feet, he swayed as he moved toward one of the men, his fists raised, and the sound of his knuckles hitting flesh resonated down the alleyway as the man tumbled backwards into the metal dumpster.

The rest of the men were caught off guard at the sudden punch, as was Liam as he was unsure of which man he hit, and how he actually made contact when he could barely stand. Liam turned directing his fists toward the other men, he threw a few punches he had mastered from his boxing lessons before he felt the crash of glass over his head.

Collapsing on to the cold hard ground seeing the men flee from the alleyway before darkness over took him.

The short man stepped out into the alleyway with the trash from the day before and walked toward the dumpster in the back. He slammed the top of the dumpster after he dropped the trash in, the crash of metal on metal echoed throughout the alley.

The sound of newspaper rustling caught his attention, crossing the distance of the alley around the stacks of broken furniture, to find a man lying in a pool of his own vomit. Scrambling towards the unconscious figure and held him up in his arms, and recognized him as the drunk young man that had strong armed him into giving him another beer last night.

"Oh GOD, come on man wake up!" He shook and slapped Liam's cheek as he held him up. The smallest flicker of his eyelids told the bartender that he was alive, but the flicker of light was quickly lost as his eyes rolled back into his head.

Lifting Liam into a seated position he noticed the trickle of blood drip down from his hairline, and found the source of the blood as the gash in his head. A broken beer bottle lay beside him clearly the cause of the wound. Searching for his phone, the bartender dialed 911, and grabbed a clean towel off the bar to soak up the blood.

The sound of sirens in the distance was music to his ears, he was practically swimming in the blood and vomit of Liam, and it was all he could do to stay calm. The sirens grew louder, they weren't far off now and he felt the hope resonate in his chest.

"We’re almost there mate, you got to stay awake! You got to fight it."

Suddenly Liam's eyes rolled back into his head and he began to shake uncontrollable as he began to seize. The ambulance pulled onto the scene, and the EMT's raced over.

"He is seizing! Get the crash cart!" Shouted the brunette EMT to her partner, she looked to the bartender and asked what he knew.

"I found him, I'm not sure how long he has been out here, and I called you guys as soon as I saw him. He went in and out of consciousness and just started seizing as you pulled up." Spitting out the information as quickly as he could as the second EMT brought the crash cart and they began to work.

"He is going into V-Fib! Give me the paddles! Charge to 200! CLEAR!"

The sound of the electric current coursing through Liam's body was enough to make the bartended nauseous, as he watched as Liam's back arched of the cold hard pavement and then fall back.

"No response! Do it again, charge to 300! CLEAR!" The paddles pressed into his chest and again caused Liam to lurch into the sky again.

"We got him! Let’s get him in the rig and move! The back board was strapped to the back of his head and down his body allowing the EMT's to lift him on the stretcher and into the ambulance.