VII

The room was silent then out of nowhere the beep of Liam's heart echoed throughout the room as the green line marched across the screen. Niall, Lou, Zayn and Harry stood in the hallway as the barrage of nurses rushed Liam out of room 523 and into surgery.

Pretty blue eyes was leading the charge, and rushed past the lads leaving the four of them standing alone in the hallway. They watched as Liam moved down the hallway and out of sight. Niall slumped against the wall, his eyes still producing an impressive amount of tears, he was so weak and felt his legs give out as he slid down the wall to the ground. Zayn walked over to him and sat beside him, he provided no words just a shoulder for a friend to cry on.

Louis looked down at his hands the blood of Liam still caked on his skin, he felt like he was going to be sick. Turning towards Harry he rested his head on his shoulder, allowing the tears break forth from his eyes. He could feel the rise and fall of Harry's chest and new that he was crying too, he felt the soft movement on his back as Harry tried to sooth him.

The lads had found a quiet spot near the ICU with large comfy chairs and couches. Niall, and Zayn had taken one of the couches while Louis sat in the chair beside him with Harry sitting in front of him using his legs as a back rest.

The hours passed slowly and every once in a while one of them would walk up the front desk to check the status of Liam. Zayn was leaning against Niall's shoulders using him as a pillow, neither of them were talking. Louis was playing with Harry's curls, twisting them through his fingers with his legs wrapped around Harry's torso like a hug. Through the silence, Niall focused on the sound of the steady ticking of the clock, imagining it as the steady beat of Liam's heart rate.

Tuesday 2:49 PM St. Thomas Hospital, London

The nurse with the pretty blue eyes walked out the OR and to the main desk.

"Here is the chart for Liam Payne" she spoke, her voice sweet to the ears, as he handed it over to the man behind the desk.

"Liam Payne huh? Was that the kid with the four boys with him?" He asked.

"Yup, that's the one. By the way, where are those boys?" Pretty blue eyes tapped her fingers like drumsticks on the counter as she asked.

"Last I saw, they were in the waiting room around the corner, looked pretty shaken too, hope you have some good news." He looked up at pretty blue eyes, a gleam in his eyes, as if he was trying to guess if the news was good or not.

"Thanks." She told him, ignoring his open ended pursuit for the truth and promptly walked away towards the waiting room.

Pausing she poked her head around the corner to see if the lads were all there. She looked at them as they sat in silence but still clinging on to each other for hope, both physically and mentally. Catching her breath, she walked around the corner and up to them.

"Hi." she said softly. Louis, Harry, Zayn and Niall all stood up rushing up to her.

"What happened?" Niall shot out first,

"Is he alright?" Zayn asked immediately after,

"Where is he?" Harry asked too,

"When can we see him?" Louis questioned as well.

Pretty blue eyes held up her hands and they all stopped talking at once.

"Liam is out of surgery, due to complications with his alcohol poisoning, Liam's kidney function decreased rapidly. Right now he is stable. Now his chart says he just gained back the function of one of his kidneys a couple of years ago, is that right?" She scanned each of their faces.

"Yes! He only had one functioning kidney till about 2 years ago." Louis told her.

"Be thankful for that lads, because that kidney saved his life. Liam is back to only having one kidney again, but we are thankful that he had both of them functioning, because if not the alcohol poisoning would have killed out his only working kidney and he would be stuck waiting for a kidney transplant. Luckily enough, we do not have to do that right now." She paused for a moment letting the information sink in before she spoke again.

"As for when you can see him: soon. He will be knocked out for several hours maybe even a day or two with the pain killers we have given him, but we expect him to wake up soon. He might not look so good though, so don't be too overwhelmed with that. He has suffered serious damage to his body and will be very sore and sluggish throughout his recovery."

"Thank you!" All the lads smiled for the first time in hours, pulling each other in to hugs. Niall broke free and walked up to pretty blue eyes.

"Thank you! I owe you a lot for saving him." he smiled and then pulled her into a big 'Horan hug'.

"Anytime." She whispered back.