XXVI

“This cast better not mess up any of my tattoos!” Zayn complained for the hundredth time as he climbed into the passenger seat of the car. Liam groaned as he fired up the engine shifting it into gear.

“Maybe you should have thought of that before you punched someone mate. Besides the doctor said it was a clean break, no surgery or screws or anything like that—“

“No but I have to wear this bloody cast for 6 weeks!” Zayn whined again.

“Would you stop complaining mate? You’re giving me a headache.” Liam messaged his temples as he turned the corner near their street. Zayn just grunted then turned to look out his side window, ignoring Liam completely.

The car slowed to a stop as Liam drove into the driveway parking the car and taking the keys out of the ignition. Zayn bounced out of the passenger seat fleeing from the cabin of the car as he raced towards the flat door.

Liam watched him go as he slowly followed. He opened the door and shuffled into the sitting room to find Harry and Louis sitting on the couch reading the paper together.

“Morning.” Liam grunted as he rubbed his eyes and yawned. He couldn’t remember the last time that he had ever stay out this late let alone spend the majority in the morning waiting in a hospital sitting room.

“Hey Li. How’s it going?” Harry asked as he scribbled in the answer to a crossword, Louis laying protectively under his arm reading the sport section of the paper. They had only been together for a few months and yet they acted like an old married couple. Liam groaned wanting nothing more than a soft bed.

“Oh that good huh?” Harry chuckled at Liam’s response.

“Erm, sorry Haz, I’m just tired, and I snapped at Zayn which I think made him mad.” Liam explained as he pour himself a hot mug of tea.

“Why don’t you just go lay down for a bit mate, catch some z’s ya know.” Louis said.

Liam thought for a moment then decided that Louis was right.

“Yea maybe you’re right Lou….Hey have you guys seen Niall this morning? Is he feeling better?” Liam asked.

“Erm, I haven’t seen him yet...” Harry said.

“I’m just going to check on him first.” Liam said as he made his way to the hallway in search of Niall.

“LI! Maybe you should just let him sleep mate, he was having a pretty rough night last night.” Harry yelled after him. Liam ignored him.

Pressing the door open slightly Liam poked his head in seeing a lump under the sheets. He quietly pulled his body through the door frame silently pressing the door closed behind him. On his tiptoes he crossed the room careful not to wake up Niall.

Kicking off his shoes Liam slipped under the covers thankful for the warmth. He snaked his way up against Niall’s bare back wrapping his arms around him. Liam cradled his face into Niall’s neck as he felt Niall stir from his sleep.

“Morning...” Liam cooed in Niall’s ear. Liam heard him breathe in, a smile etched on his face then suddenly it was gone.

Niall jumped from the bed leaving Liam alone. The heat from the sheets escaped and Liam felt the cold air reach his chest paralyzing him.

“WHAT THE HELL LIAM!!!” Niall shouted at him, a mixture of fear and anger on his face. Liam sat up from his bed pulling himself to the edge, dropping his feet to the floor.

“I’m sorry babe, I just figured you wouldn’t mind.” Liam spoke softly unsure of Niall’s body language.

“Get out PAYNE!” Niall spat his words forcefully in Liam’s face making him drop his head even lower.