Diamonds & Pearls (25)-Lies Undone

Start from the beginning

            “Daleela, something is bugging me and I really need you to be honest with me.” He said quietly, looking down the hallways with caution. His voice had lowered considerably. “What really happened while I was gone?”

            My mouth hung open slightly as I remembered the moment I had almost admitted everything to him in the nurse’s office. Right then, I’d had enough courage to just blurt it out. But right now, my mind was changed. Aiken wouldn’t forgive me if I just told him everything. I knew for sure that he would want to tell Cole himself. He owed his little brother that much after all of his suffering. Now I was tasked with the difficult choice of whether or not to lie to him. I couldn’t lie to him no matter how I tried to shape my lips to do so. Inside, I wanted him to know at least some of the truth.

            “Cole, I’m going to tell you just like I told Rafiq.” I informed him, my heart beating wildly. “There are things I absolutely cannot tell you guys yet and I know you won’t understand some of the things I’m about to say but you can’t ask questions. That is my condition for telling you.”

            He looked a bit taken aback that I was keeping things from them. Just like they had kept me safe by leaving me in the dark sometimes, I was doing the same. “Alright,” He finally agreed with reluctance.

            “While you were…absent, Rafiq and I were almost kidnapped by the men with the tiger tattoos.” I whispered so low that I could tell he had trouble hearing me. The shock as he registered what I said was evident. I watched him nervously as several expressions dashed across his handsome features.

            “What?” He muttered with a fear stricken look.

            “They tried to kidnap us.” I repeated softly. Cole looked as if I were speaking gibberish. “They were complaining about Erik making them do it when they were talking amongst themselves. Their leader, Nine, was so adamant about completing the ‘mission’ though.”

            “Nine?” He blurted loudly. I quickly shushed him. “I’m going to kill him.” Cole growled, glaring at the door to the principal’s office. I knew he was referring to Erik at the moment. “I can’t believe that f---ing psycho went as far as using his dad’s hit man to hurt you.”

            “Cole, quiet down. Someone will hear.” I murmured in panic. His expression was wild.

            “Let them hear.” He spat in pure unrestrained anger. “This is the last straw. Erik has hurt you way too many times and I’m not going to sit by and watch his dad bail him out this time. If I can’t catch Jim, I’ll have to start with turning him against his son the way he turned my mother against me.”

            Cole stood up and I rose with him wearily. “You don’t have to do this. I know for a fact that they’ll both be locked up soon.” I tried to assure him. He gave me a perplexed look.

            “And just how would you know that?” He questioned, a fired up look in his eyes.

            “I just do,” I replied hotly.

            “No offense Daleela but I’m not about to take that chance. I’m going to make sure Erik’s father does not bail him out of jail. That’s the only thing that will keep me at ease.” Cole said quietly, trying his best to restrain the fury he was truly feeling. At this point, it was difficult to argue with him. If he had a way, why should I stop him?

            “Let me ask you this,” I muttered, looking at the ground. “If you do what you’re planning, will you end up being the one in danger?”