Chapter Twelve

After doing interviews, Adam, Christina, Cee Lo, and I talked for a while. "I'm going to miss The Voice. I had so much fun working with you guys," Christina said. "Group hug!" Adam suggested. We did our little group hug and then we did a toast with our drinks. The blaring noise of Adam's ringtone filled the room, causing Christina to jump. Grinning sheepishly, he retrieved his phone from his pocket, flipping it open without checking the caller I.D. "Hello?" I watched as Adam's face became pale. He covered the mouthpiece of his phone. "I'll be right back," Adam said to us. "Who are you on the phone with?" Cee Lo asked Adam. "Uh... one of my band members." Adam is the lead singer of a band called, "Maroon 5" by the way. "I'm going to use the restroom," I said to Christina and Cee Lo. Christina folded her arms across her chest. "Wait, Blake. That was kind of suspicious. Don't you think?" I shook my head. "No, why?" "His face..." "Maybe one of his band members got into a car accident or something," Cee Lo said. I agreed with him. "He's hiding something." "No, he's not. I trust him," I snapped at Christina. A smile appeared on her face. "That's really sweet. You guys definitely have a bromance going on. Now you're turning as red as a rose! Awe," she teased. "Oh, be quiet Christina!" "What does one call a bromance if it's two girls?" Cee Lo asked. "I use 'friendsbians' sometimes," I responded. Cee Lo was laughing. "I'm going to use the bathroom now," I told both of them. "Okay," they replied together.

When I was walking to the restroom, I heard a girly shriek from a room. I stopped walking. I wondered what was going on in there. Slowly, I pressed down the handle and pushed open the door. The door opened to my worst nightmare. Adam was with Taylor, Miranda's friend. I heard rumors that Taylor would have a different boyfriend each week. I only talked to her like three times during my whole life. They were lying on the same bed together. She was on top of him. Adam was half-naked, Taylor was only wearing underwear. We all froze. Taylor's eyes met mine and then she smirked. "Get out of here! Can't you see we are busy doing something?" My heart leapt out of my chest, I could hear each pound of blood rushing through my veins, and my head spun. I didn't respond to her. I just turned around and ran away, slamming the door shut behind me. Just before it shut, I heard Adam yelling, "Wait!"

I went outside and it was raining. Unfortunately, I had no umbrella. I usually love rainy days, but not today. The icy water was numbing my skin. Nothing compared to how numb I was on the inside. "Taxi!" I cried out. I didn't feel like driving because I wasn't feeling so good. "Blake!" I turned around to see Adam running towards me. He kept calling my name, but I ignored him. "Blake, why are you getting so mad?" Maybe I was overreacting... I mean Adam and I aren't a official couple. However, he should know that I love him more than just a best friend. He should know that the way I've been acting the past few days, I don't want to be best friends anymore... I want him to be my boyfriend. He obviously doesn't feel the same way about me. "Leave me alone!" I yelled. "I can drive you to your house," he offered. "No!" He stood next to me, not saying one word. He could have at least explained to me what was going on in there, but nope. When he got his phone out of his pocket, I decided to run away from him. Christina was right. Adam wasn't on the phone with one of his band members. "Uh... one of my band members." Bullshit. I was leaning into railings, staring down at the open sea. I had so little energy left to run. "Let me explain," Adam pleaded. Oh, now he wants to explain? Too late for that. "No! I don't care, Adam!" "Blake!" Adam said in a fierce voice. "Just listen please. I would never do that to you. The truth is, Blake..." he took a deep breath. "I love you." His tongue gently traced my lips, forcing my body to relax in the most unfair way. The electricity started with a soft tingling from my lips, but then I was on fire, burning, electrocuted. At the same time, it was also passionate and beautiful. There was everything I'd watched in movies, everything I'd read in books- the fireworks, the butterflies in your stomach, the violin music in the background. The perfect kiss.