Chapter 24

Brynjar was fast asleep on his stomach as a wet cloth was spread across his back. I sat in a chair next to him and watched him sleep. His back arose and fell as he peacefully dreamed. I hadn't left his bedside for two days.

But I couldn't. I felt like I couldn't breathe when I saw my two year old son lying in bed with one large scar across his back. I held his hand and lightly rubbed his soft nuckles. I didn't move when I heard the door open and close.

The squeaking sound of the floor told me that someone was getting closer to me and out of the far corner of my eye I could see Ragnar sitting down on my right side. "Are you going to banish Erlendur too?" He was silent. "Answer me." He remained quiet.

I lowered my head towards Brynjar's hand and gently pressed my lips on his soft skin. When I sat up straight and turned my head to face my grandfather I saw my father walk in. He went around Brynjar and sat across from me. His eyes avoided mine as he watched his grandson sleep. "Siggy" I turned my attention back to Ragnar. "I am terribly sorry for what happened to your son and Genovefa."

I lowered my gaze to the floor and glared at it, trying my best not point all my anger at him. His hand pushed my chin up so we were looking directly into each other's eyes. "I have numerous enemies and many of them have tried rid my family from this world. Even those whom I thought I could trust." I sat there quietly as my grandfather explained the times he was attacked and almost killed. When he finished he said one last thing that made me puzzle.

"What?"

"Once Genovefa is healed and strong again, she is free." A smile tugged at my lips. "Since she doesn't have a place to live, I've asked her to help you and Leif with the children and around the farm."

I carefully let my hand slip from my son's and hugged my grandfather. I then left the room searching for where Genovefa was resting. When I opened the door to another room and stopped when saw her lying the same way as Brynjar and her wounds being tended to by Lagertha. I walked to the other side of the bed and knelt down to meet her face to face.

She fluttered her eyes open and a weak smile appeared when she saw me. I smiled and asked how she was feeling. "It hurts when they touch it, but I should be alright Lagertha says."

"Ragnar told me that once you are better you are a freewoman" Genovefa's smile grew. "You don't have to live with us if you don't want to. Maybe you decide you want to travel and maybe even return to your homeland!"

"My village was destroyed from a flood. I was the only one that survived. I want to help you for all you've done for me." I pushed a strand of her light brown hair behind her ear. "I want you to train me." I felt every muscle in my body freeze. I looked into her eyes and saw she was scared but also determined.

"Train? You want to fight?"

"I want to be able to defend myself. I want to learn from you." I looked up at Lagertha who seemed just as worried as I was about Genovefa fighting. I stood up and left the room, before I could walk away from the door my grandmother grabbed my wrist.

"Once she is well enough to live with you. I would wait awhile until she is absolutely ready to start training. With her condition she cannot start right away." I shrugged her hand off my shoulder and absconded out of the house and towards the woods.

I hiked up the hills and then stopped when I noticed a cliff that overlooked Kattegat. I walked a little bit closer to it and viewed my home that sat peacefully by the water. My blonde hair had three small braids on both sides that were pulled back by the bleak wind. I pulled the onyx blanket that wrapped around my shoulders tighter and looked up to see the mountains and water sitting perfectly still. "Girl." I spun around and saw Leif walking towards me. "That is what I saw of when I first met you on the docks. I saw only a girl."