Chapter 9

**Author's Note: this picture above is Lagertha**

"He was stabbed with a knife, but he'll live. Sadly." Embla complained. I ran past her and into Leif's tent. He laid on a small bed with a bandage wrapped around his abdomen. A woman placed a wet rag on his forehead. He opened his eyes and saw me. A smile spread across his face and he sat right up, then gave a yelp in pain.

"Lie down Leif! What were you thinking? You could've killed yourself!" the woman snapped. A man stood across from her on the other side of Leif.

"I'm fine. Come here Siggy" Leif said as he waved his hand to me. I slowly walked next to the woman. "Mother, father this is Siggy. The granddaughter of King Ragnar Lothbrok. Siggy this is my mother, Agatha, and my father, Erick." I looked up at Agatha. She dropped to her knees.

"Granddaughter of King Ragnar! It is an honor!" I helped her stand up.

"Please don't do that. I am nothing special."

"Liar!" Leif shouted. "You were the one who came up with the plan to invade King Ecbert's camp!"

"Congrats on your victory!" Erick walked up to me and slapped me on the shoulder.

"Oh well thank you, Erick"

"You are Björn Ironside's daughter? He must be very proud of you!" Agatha said. I smiled in agreement and knelt closer to Leif.

"Embla told me you were stabbed"

"Yeah, but I'll be alright. My mother stitched up the wound and put this bandage on. It will heal soon and then I'll be at full strength again." I couldn't help but sigh in relief. Leif's handsome smile appeared and I felt comfortable being by his side. I could see Agatha and Erick out of the corner of my eye, sneaking out of the tent. I turned back to their son, who was slowly trying to sit up. He patted a small spot on the bed and I carefully sat on the edge.

"Something wrong Siggy?" He asked.

"I just remembered . . what were you going to ask me yesterday?"

"When I first came to see you on that farm I wondered . . ."

"What?" I wanted to slap myself. I sounded so impatient and ignorant.

"Did you ever think of me when you were with the Christians?" I held my breath before responding.

"I-I did. I don't know why, but you would appear into my mind sometimes at night or when I was working." Leif's lips slowly lifted into a smile. "But Leif, we've only known each other for a little bit. I need to know I can . . I can trust you."

He slowly leaned in closer to me. His right hand pushed my left cheek so I would face him. "You can trust me. I will prove it to you. I don't care what I have to do to show you I care about you."

"I mean I trust you, just need to know I'm not making a mistake in doing so" Leif nodded as if agreeing with me.

I couldn't control it. Something inside me was regulating my body and I was leaning in closer to Leif. However, I didn't want to stop, I moved in and Leif's lips found mine. It was soft and smooth. The way his lips brushed against mine made me feel so carefree and serene. I could feel his hands on my hips. My right hand was on his neck and started to move through his hair.

I immediately stopped and stood up from his bed. What was I thinking? What was I doing? I felt vulnerable now. I was telling him I needed his trust and I was already falling for him. I turned to him and saw the confusion in his eyes.

"I-I need some air" I couldn't seem to find the words to say. Then I quickly left his tent.

I rushed over to my grandmother and father.The moment I approached Lagertha squeezed me in her arms. "I am so proud of you! You were amazing!" I smiled. My father hugged me as well.