Chapter 8

**Author's Note: for those who are fans of History's Vikings, I put a picture of King Ragnar Lothbrok for you! Also for the people who don't know him! Enjoy!**

Everyone under the tent puzzled at me, except Ragnar. I tried to explain my plan to them, but their expressions said they would rather fight to the death then go along with my idea. I groaned at their stubbornness. "Why not?" I complained.

"Because it shows weakness! I'm not weak!" Embla whined.

"I know you're not weak! But you're not smart either to let all our men and women die!" I snapped. Embla glared at me, but I didn't care. "This is not showing weakness! We don't have enough warriors to fight them! Is that what you want? To let them win and kill us all?! No! We take advantage of their weakness and use it against them. The time I was with Ecbert I was able to overhear this information. We can use it!"

"How many warriors are left?" Leif asked.

"We counted only a few less than a hundred. Ecbert has thousand." Lagertha replied.

"I agree with Siggy." Ragnar said. Everyone turned to him. "I said King Ecbert would pay for what he did and he will. I don't care how it's done. As long as that so-called Christian is down on his knees begging for his life!" Rain started to come down. Everyone outside the tent shuffled around with their shields and weapons, then hid under their tents. "Your friends, Ivette and Randolph might be helpful. You'll go with them to---"

"NO!" Björn exclaimed from across the table. "The last time you sent my daughter she was given to those strangers and I wasn't even aware of it! How do I know this is safe for her to handle?!"

"Father!" Everyone turned to me. "I came on this raid to be apart of something great! What other reason do you think that I came along for?" My father stared at me, I can see the hurt in his eyes. Not because I stood up to him, but because I wanted to put myself at risk. It was rare that my father and I disagreed.

I was raised by my father. He missed two raids to stay in Kattegat and take care of me. We did a lot of things together and I grew up with the most caring dad in the world. He would stand aside nervously watching Lagertha help teach me how to hold a sword properly. He made sure I told him where I was going and what I was going to do when I wanted to go out. When I discovered my mother abandoned me while he was away raiding, I started to spend more time with him, making the bond between us even stronger.

My father made his way to me and placed both his hands on my shoulders. His blue eyes that matched Ragnar's were locked with mine. "You sound like your mother." Before I could even stop it, the tear slid down my cheek. "I trust you. I believe in you. However, I want someone to go with you in case something goes wrong." The attitude in his voice was firm and ascetic.

"I'll go with her!" My father turned around. I moved to the side to see Leif's hand in the air. Björn gave an affirmative nod.

"Siggy go get your friends and bring them here. We need to act quickly." Ragnar assured.

. . . .

Leif and I carefully followed Ivette and Randolph through the woods, hoping to find King Ecbert's army. Leif and I quietly hid behind trees and bushes trying to remain hidden and act as protection for my friends. Ivette and Randolph pulled the carts of food and ale.

I could feel Leif's stare on me as I watched my friends continue through the forest. I turned to face him. "What?"

"Did you tell your friends what is in the food and ale?" I could hear a bit of concern in his voice.

"No"

"Why didn't you tell them?"

"Be-because I'm afraid they would warn the enemy and betray me."

"You don't trust them?"

"I do, just questioning it a little. I want to completely trust them, but I . . ." every word I said was the truth. I did trust Ivette and Randolph, but something inside me wasn't sure if they should know what they were about to hand out to the English army.

"Do you trust me?" Leif's question woke me as I stared aimlessly. I turned to him and saw the curiosity in his brown eyes.

"I don't know. When you came to me while I was at the farm . . I was relieved to see and hear that someone worried about me. I didn't think anyone would remember I was gone."

"I thought about you and prayed to the gods you would be watched and taken care of." I looked away trying very hard not to forget what I was out here to do. Leif's fingers slid onto my hand and fell in between my fingers.

"What was it you wanted to ask me yesterday before we left?" Leif hesitated before he could respond. He opened his mouth to speak, but a deep voice came out, only it was from Leif's lips.

"Oi you! Where are you heading?" Leif and I looked away from each other and saw two English soldiers approaching Randolph and Ivette. We tried to sneak a little closer.

"We were just traveling to deliver some food and ale" Randolph explained.

"Are you hungry? Would you like some food?" Ivette questioned. The soldiers exchanged looks and told Randolph their men were starving. "We will gladly serve the King's men." Ivette curtsied and started to drag the cart of food as she followed the soldiers to their camp.

I turned to Leif and smiled, he smiled back. Then we carefully sneaked past bushes and trees to the English military camp.

. . . .

The men looked very ecstatic to receive food and ale. Once Randolph and Ivette finished handing the food out, the men cried out cheers and began to feast away. Randolph and Ivette immediately sneaked away. I watched them as they found a spot to hide. Leif gently tapped my arm and I turned to see one of the soldiers taking a drink out of the giant gallon of ale. He chugged some down and then spit it out. "Oi what is this?!" He screamed in calamity.

The men came to him and looked at the drink he held in his hands. They puzzled at it. One took a sip and spit it out. Another was choking on his bread. He began to cough up blood and soon passed out.

I whispered to Leif "it's time." He turned around and made a perfect bird calling. Another bird calling was responded in the distance. Leif ducked down next to me. I kept my head low and my weapon ready.

Abruptly, a flaming arrow shot up in the ebony sky. Leif and I watched it land right in the gallon of ale. A burst of fire exploded from the ale and set about ten men on fire. Some were screaming in agony and others lied on the ground, perfectly still. Then a set of ten flaming arrows were shot up in the sky and landed amongst the English soldiers and their food, causing the vases of ale to burrage.

Soon after a plentiful of ignited arrows were sent through the sky and into King Ecbert's camp. Men were panicking and bustled around trying to avoid getting hit. Suddenly, a bugle horn was blown off in the distance behind Leif and I. I tapped his shoulder and stood up, he did the same.

I grabbed my bow and attached an arrow, Leif pulled two axes from his belt and charged into the campsite, I followed. The rest of our people closed in on the enemy. Fighting and killing any that tried to escape. I saw three men heading near Randolph's hiding spot. I pulled the arrow back and released, then pulled two more back and watched the soldiers hit the ground after a yelp.

Abruptly, a shield knocked me down to the ground. I looked up and saw an Englishman standing over me holding his sword and ready to strike. My eyes widened when I saw the tip of a sword stick out in the middle of his stomach. Randolph appeared and pushed the soldier aside. He held his hand out to me. "What was in the food?"

"The bread was poisoned and the ale was replaced with oil" I explained to him as I shot two guys heading towards us. Randolph looked at me surprised. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you! I was afraid you would betray me!" I screamed above the clamorous noise.

Randolph turned away and continued to fight through the crowd. I held up my bow and shot a man sneaking up behind Embla. She turned around and gave me a playful scowl.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed King Ecbert trying to sneak away. I grabbed an arrow and pulled it back, aiming at the king. I took a deep breath and released it. My cerulean blue eyes watched it fly through the air and towards the king.