Chapter 6

The longer I held the truth back from Ivette and Randolph the harder it was to let it out. I sat at their table staring at my dinner with disgust. I took a bite out of my corn and found it difficult to swallow. I couldn't take it anymore. I sat there starving, yet the guilt turned the food Ivette prepared to crap. "Maria? Are you alright dear? Is something wrong with your food?" Ivette asked. I could hear the concern in her voice.

"It's not the food that's bothering me."

"Then what is it?"

"My name isn't Maria." I quickly blurted out. There was a moment of silence.

"Then what is your name?" Ivette asked.

"It-It's Siggy" My voice trembled as I spoke. Everything went quiet in the house, even the animals didn't make a sound.

"That is not an English name." Randolph stated. I nodded my head.

"The Norseman that came towards us as they were heading to the king's villa a few days ago was my real father, the son of King Ragnar Lothbrok. I am one of the Norsemen." I didn't look at them as I spoke. I couldn't. I was too afraid to even see the horror and betrayal in their faces. "I was sent as a spy to get close to Ecbert, but it backfired when he sent me to live with you. Now my people are going to war with yours and I don't want any harm to come to you. I'm so sorry, but I must leave right away."

I arose from my seat and went to my room to grab my cape before one of them could say anything. I pulled the hood over my champagne hair and headed for the door. As I departed from the meager cottage I turned around to get one last glimpse. I saw Ivette and Randolph talking in

their bedroom. A tear slid down my cheek, I wiped it away and headed back to my family's camp.

. . . .

My father gently nudged me awake. I turned to see him kneeling above me smiling. I smiled and yawned. He laid his hand on my forehead. "Are you sure you're okay Siggy? You didn't seem like yourself when you arrived two nights ago." I sat up straight and rubbed my eyes before responding.

"I'm okay. Just feel guilty for betraying Ivette and Randolph like that. I hope they'll be alright." My father pulled me in for a hug. I wanted to cry, but tried to appear strong so my father would let me fight today.

"Well get ready and come out for breakfast." My father exited my tent leaving me all alone.

I pushed through the opening of my tent dressed in a beige brown long sleeve shirt with white furred wrist cuffs, hickory brown corset on top, black leggings and leather boots, and a chain and brown leather belt. My blonde hair was tied into three braids.

I aimlessly walked through the camp. I picked up my sword and sharpened it. As I scraped the rock against the edge of my weapon someone sat down next to me. I could feel their stare on me and I tried to concentrate.

"What's the matter? Can't say hello?" The obnoxious and sarcastic tone was easy to recognize. I turned not surprised to see Embla.

"How've you been Embla? Not getting into trouble are you?" I teased. She gave that heinous smile.

"Sadly no. Just waiting to stick my sword into an Englishman's gut."

"Be careful what you say."

"What's happened to you?" Before I could even think of a response a woman shrieked. Embla and I immediately headed towards the gate.

When we got there we saw a Norseman grabbing Ivette. He pushed her to the ground and spread her legs apart. Ivette continued to scream and struggle. Randolph was held back by two other Norsemen.

"Embla, get those two off my friend!" Embla smiled and headed towards Randolph. I ran to Ivette.

As the man tried to ravage her, I tackled right into him. Next thing I knew I was on top of him, but something made me lose control and I started to punch and smack him uncontrollably. I could feel someone grab me from under my arms and pull me away. I struggled still feeling the urge to beat the shit out of him for trying to rape my friend.

I turned around and saw Leif trying to stop my hands and unclench my fists. I wanted to scream and punch that guy some more. Leif pulled me close and whispered in my ear to calm down. I eventually settled down and headed towards the Norseman.

"Nobody touches my friends!" I screamed. Everyone circled around the man, Ivette, and I. The man looked up at me in shock with his face black and blue from me punching him.

"Siggy! It's alright I'm fine. Calm down dear." Ivette reassured as she pulled me in for a hug. "I'm just glad to see you made it safely."

"Why have you come here?" Ivette smiled as if she had been waiting for me to ask that.

"I don't care if you are a Norseman or Christian! I don't care if you're not even my real daughter, but I will not stop worrying and caring about you. There is more to you than being called a Norseman." I smiled and hugged my friend. Ivette was different if she decided to come into our camp.

Randolph joined in the hug. My father approached us with an austere expression. I departed from my friends. He turned from me and faced Ivette and Randolph. "Thank you for taking good care of my daughter. When I found out she wasn't with your king I feared for her safety. She is my only child and I had to raise her when her mother abandoned her when she was only an infant while I was away."

Randolph shook hands with Björn and Ivette hugged him. "You raised a fine daughter. She helped me a lot around the farm and Ivette with dinner."

"You are welcome to stay here and will be under our protection. No one is to harm this couple!" King Ragnar announced. Some people started bickering about letting Christians coming into our camp. One man claimed they could be spies and threatened to kill them. I turned to face him.

"So much as lay a finger or axe on them and I'll have you die a slow and painful death that will prevent you from ever entering Valhalla!" The man seemed to get the message. The tone in my voice proved I wasn't joking.