Chapter 14

Porunn and I tied Earl Fritjof's cold dead body to a post. Five of his men were alive and chained to each other, next to their leader. A few days have gone by until Embla spotted my father's ships approaching one morning. The villagers ran to the beach waiting impatiently for their loved ones to step ashore. I noticed Embla wasn't one of them.

I tried to look for her and noticed Porunn was gone as well. The moment the boats pulled up to the docks I could hear my father scream my name. I turned and saw him as he leaped off the edge of the ship and trudged through the water towards me. "Father!" I cheered as I ran into his arms. He held me tight and breathed in the scent of my hair.

"I missed you so much!" I squeezed him back as a sign of how much I cared for him. "Did anything happen?" I nodded. Ragnar came up to me waiting for a report. I led them to Fritjof's post and the men that still lived.

"Earl Fritjof attacked. Lagertha, Aslaug, Ivar and Embla helped me get the people out and hide in the woods while we and some volunteers took care of him and his men. These men here surrender. I shot Fritjof after he attacked me. Their boats were burned. The people of Kattegat are safe and well." Björn smiled at me and patted me on the shoulder. Ragnar stared at Fritjof, who had arrows sticking out of his eyes and throat. He turned back to me and smiled.

"Well done. You have protected your people and I couldn't be prouder. You deserve the name Siggy the Shieldmaiden!" Ragnar cheered. My uncles raised their weapons and cheered, soon everyone joined in. Lagertha cupped my face in her hands and I watched as a tear slid down her cheek. She hugged me and kissed the top of my head.

When I was released I saw Leif standing on the beach talking to Asger. Asger seemed to have a worried look as he searched for Embla, who still has not shown herself. I walked up to them. Leif turned to me and smiled, while Asger grabbed my shoulders and stared at me. "Where is Embla?"

"Asger I need to tell you something---"

"Is she dead? Oh please don't say it!"

"Asger! Embla is alive. She . . . lost the child. I'm sorry. It was a miscarriage. Embla found out the day we were attacked. She is probably back at the house. I think you should go talk to her."

Asger was relieved to hear about Embla, but shocked to hear about the baby. He absconded to his house where Embla waited for him. Leif turned to me and pulled me in close. His arms wrapped around me. I returned the hug. "Are you alright?" I smiled at his question. The charitable and worried tone in his voice made me happy to hear that he really did care about me.

"I am. What about you? Are you going to be okay?" Leif smiled and brushed his lips against mine.

"Relieved to be here. Would you mind meeting me at the waterfall? There is something I want to discuss with you." I nodded and kissed him back before returning to my family.

. . . .

I snuck up on Leif from behind as he sat on a rock and watched the scenery. The moment I touched his back he jumped. I giggled and sat down. Leif took his spot next to me. He grabbed hold of my hand and smiled at me.

"Siggy there is something I want to ask you . . something important." He stopped. I stared at him waiting for more.

"Yes Leif? What is it?"

"Will you marry me?" I stared at him, my eyes widened. I stood up from my spot and walked towards the waterfall. He stood behind me. I turned to him and smiled and then pressed my lips against his and wrapped my arms around his neck. Once we departed he looked at me confused. "Is that a yes?"

"Yes!" Leif's lips spread from ear to ear. He grabbed my waist and lifted me up. He spun me around cheering and kissing my face non stop. I laughed at his reaction. Then my smile vanished once I spotted who was watching us.

"What's wrong?" Leif asked as his back was facing the woman. Leif turned around and saw Porunn standing next to a tree. He immediately yanked his sword from his sheath and got in front of me. "Who are you?" Porunn started walking towards us. Leif pointed the end of his sword at her and glared. "Don't come any closer!"

Porunn didn't seem afraid. She just smiled and gave a mocking laugh. "Is that anyway to talk to your future mother-in-law?" Leif puzzled and lowered his weapon. Not taking his eyes off my mother he asked me a question.

"Siggy? What is she talking about?"

"This is my birth mother, Porunn. Mother this is Leif Ericksson."

"I heard about your proposal. I give you both my blessing and wish you a happy and healthy life together." Porunn sounded like her blessing meant something.

"Glad to know that you care about my future."

"I've always wanted the best for you Siggy." Porunn was sincere as she said it.

"Leaving me and putting all the responsibility on my father was best for me? Thanks you did a lot of help there."

"I know you're angry and I understand why, but I want you to apprehend that I still love you and your father. I always have and will. Please heed my advice . . don't make the same mistakes I did. Think about the people who care about you before making a decision." Porunn smiled and began to walk off. Part of me was glad she was leaving but I could tell she meant what she said.

I jogged after her. She turned to face me. I wrapped my arms around her and held her close to me. This was probably the last time I was ever going to feel my mother again. She hugged me back and kissed my head. "You won't come to the wedding? Maybe even see Björn again?"

"Siggy . . I've been gone for twenty years. If your father saw me now who knows what he'd do. But I know that you are going to be a beautiful bride and be a great mother. Greater than me." I smiled and she kissed my forehead one more time. She squeezed my hands and then let them slip as she headed back towards the mountains. Leif walked up to me. His hand slipped into mine.

"I was furious with her but I know that I can't stay mad at her forever. The past is in the past and I need to think about the present. To do that I must move on." Leif kissed me on the cheek. I turned and smiled as I brushed my lips against his and we headed back to the village.

. . . .

I walked into Ragnar's house with a smile plastered to my face. I jogged to my father and grandparents. Leif stayed a couple feet behind me. My father turned around and puzzled at me. "Father . . I . . I mean Leif asked for my hand in marriage." Björn smiled and grabbed Leif and me in a giant hug. Once he let us go I noticed a tear start to slide down his cheek. "We ask for your blessing?"

"You already have it. Leif asked me for my permission and blessing as we returned home. He is a good man and cares deeply about you. I only want you to be happy and safe and I know you are and will be with him." I turned to Leif and hugged him.

Björn walked up to the center of the room and shouted causing everyone's attention turn to him. He held up a cup of ale and turned to face Leif and I. "My extraordinary daughter, Siggy, and this honorable young man, Leif, will be joined into one as they shall wed!" Everyone cheered and started complimenting and congratulating us.