Chapter 12

Embla stood in her bedroom dusting off her long white dress. She kept brushing her dark wavy brown hair onto her shoulders. I watched her as she nervously checked herself a dozen times in the mirror and asking if anything was wrong with the dress. "Are you sure I look okay?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Embla!" I grabbed her hands that were picking at the dress. Our eyes locked on one another. "You are the most beautiful bride I've ever seen! And I'm not just saying that . . I mean every word!"

Embla smiled and hugged me. I saw a tear start to form in the far corner of her right eye, I gently wiped it away with my thumb and smiled at her. "Do you think I'm doing the right thing?" I puzzled at her. "Marrying Asger. Is right for me to go through with this?"

"Tell me the truth" Embla lifted her head "how do you really feel about Asger?"

"I . . I . . he makes me happy and laugh a lot. I . . I love him." I could hear Embla try to hold her tears back as she spoke. I pulled my dear friend in and held her tight. Embla was always so strong and stubborn, seeing her so emotional was unusual for me. Abruptly, a knock came from the door. Embla's mother answered and let her husband enter. Tears immediately came pouring down his cheeks as he cupped his daughter's face in his hands.

I left the room and headed towards the beach where everyone awaited for the bride's arrival. I walked up to my father who smiled to me and pulled me in close. Björn lifted my head and asked how I was. I plainly told him I was fine, but in reality I wasn't. I felt like Embla was being taken away from me. My good friend was now about to be joined in matrimony, would she still be the same warrior I met in England? Horns started to blow as a sign of the bride's arrival.

Everyone turned to the water and saw Embla arrive on a small raft decorated in flowers and vines. A woman behind her had a large oar and paddled them to shore. The men and women cheered as she rode on the water towards the crowd. I saw near the large fire Asger stared at her lovestruck as she was walked up to him led by her mother and father.

The woman had Asger and Embla hold the swords in front of each other and asked them each a question. I stood aside and watched as the newlywed exchange the rings on their fingers and then kiss. Everyone cheered and music started to play. Men, women, and children began to dance.

I stood aside with my family and watched Embla and Asger dance together. The smile on her face was so natural and full of bliss it made my lips lift the same way. My heart and mind felt at ease as I watched them dance and kiss each other with such passion. Seeing my friend be happy was like watching the birds soar through the sky, free of the world and it's restrictions. Suddenly, I felt something tap my shoulder when I turned I saw Leif standing there with his hand held out. "Am I worthy enough to ask the granddaughter of King Ragnar to a dance?"

I smiled and pretended to curtsey. My hand reached out for his and once they grabbed hold of the other Leif led me towards the crowd that danced around the bonfire. I looked back and could see my father smiling as he watched us.

I turned my attention back to Leif. I held up my right arm and he held up his, our hands clasped together and we began to turn in a circle. He began to spin me around and soon I was facing him, his hands were on my waist and my arms were wrapped around his neck. I could see out of the corner of my eye Lagertha and Björn watching us.

Someone gently tapped me on my shoulder, I turned and saw Ragnar. "May I?" Leif bowed and handed my hand to my grandfather.

His right hand rested on my waist and his left held onto my right hand. We swayed to the music not saying a word. "Why do you seem so lost Siggy?" I looked up at Ragnar.

"I-uh--"

"I have noticed you don't enjoy the praise of your success."

"Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to fight. However these men and women have been fighting their whole lives. On my first raid I have already made the others who worked hard are now nothing compared to me." Ragnar smiled.