Chapter 36: Confrontation

Hey!! Thanks again to those who voted. (voting is now closed)

Derek had to tell Meredith, he had to. For the past two days, he had been keeping in the 'I love you' but now it was time to come clean and confront Meredith about loving her. His game plan was to forgive Mer about discluding the major fact of her marriage. Then he would reminisce about all their good times. And gradually he would say "Meredith Grey, when I met you I was drowning. I just finished up a divorce and I wasn't looking for anything serious. So when I asked you out on the coffee date, it was just to take my mind off things, but ended up falling for you, hard. I love you"

Yup he had all that planned out to the T. Now all he had to do was find the girl of his dreams and confront her. After his mildly busy morning and an uneventful evening, he chose today to finally tell Meredith.

All this feels strange and untrue
And I won't waste a minute without you
My bones ache, my skin feels cold
And I'm getting so tired and so old

The anger swells in my guts
And I won't feel these slices and cuts
I want so much to open your eyes
'Cause I need you to look into mine

"Meredith!" He shouted towards the hallway. She was wearing a loosely fitted pastel green blouse and some dark blue jeans. Her hair was down and was into blonde curls. This look, was what had attracted Derek to her in the first place. She murmured something to her fellow residents and made her way to Derek.

"Can we uh go to Joe's" he suggested. He literally had butterflies in his stomach.

"I usually would say yes, but I think I'm gonna try and stay sober around my mother's surgery"

"Right... Let's go sit on a bench"

"S- Sure" she stuttered.

When did it become so awkward between them?

Once they were outside, the small drizzles wet both of their heads, but neither seemed to care.

"I forgive you." He blurted out.

"Wh- What?"

"I forgive you, I don't care that your married, let's put that behind us"

"Oh, I wasn't aware that I was asking for your forgiveness"

"Oh," he took a see breath. Meredith's voice had some edge to it. "Mer are you mad at me or something?"

"Or something" she scoffed, "Derek I have to go home, my dependable friends are waiting for me"

Ouch

"Do they uh know about Co- him?"

"No, they just know that he is someone unwanted from my past." She sighed. "I'm planning to tell Cristina today though."

"That's good."

"Yeah" she breathed.

Get up, get out, get away from these liars
'Cause they don't get your soul or your fire
Take my hand, knot your fingers through mine
And we'll walk from this dark room for the last time

Every minute from this minute now
We can do what we like anywhere
I want so much to open your eyes
'Cause I need you to look in

"So how are yo-"

"Derek, cut the crap, you obviously wanted to say something, just say it." She said, with annoyance.

"Before I say things... Are you mad at me?" He sadly inquired.

"Gee Derek? I don't know? I pour my whole heart to you and all you do is leave! A hug or even some kind words would've have been nice" she yelled.

"I'm sor-"

"Shut up! If anybody should by asking for forgiveness it should be you asking forgiveness from me. You left! And now you wanna have small talk like nothing happened."

"Mered-" he tried interjecting, but failed.

"Be quiet! Derek I told you constantly that I've never been in a healthy relationship. How am I supposed to know anything?! I thought we broke up!"

"Mer," he said, knowing he would be unheard.

"What!!"

"Oh, I never gotten past this part. You always scream and tell me shut up."

"I'm trying to be civil, but I am this close to getting into my car and running you over. I've told you about my abandonment issues, and you threw away all the trust I had in you when you walked out of the on call room"

"Sorry,"

"Sorry my ass. Derek I'm not ready. Talk to me when I'm feeling better"

"Okay" he breathed. She walked towards the parking lot and vanished.

Step 1: Forgiveness, had epically failed. How could loving someone hurt so much?

Tell me that you'll open your eyes
All this feels strange and untrue
And I won't waste a minute without you

Song: Open Your Eyes by Snow Patrol❄️

17 votes + 5 comments.

-Jiji🐾