So Quiet, Too Quiet

The hospital wing was so quiet. Too quiet. Ron still slept on the bed opposite you; his eyelashes shadowed his lidded eyes as they wrinkled when he dreamed. Deep, black, circles sank deep below his eyes and he turned around in his deep slumber. The red hair atop his head was unruly and unkempt. 

You were tucked in to your chest, sitting up, under the white hospital sheets - bandages wrapped around your left upper arm and your head. 

A small, red blotch formed on your head's bandage where your wound had wept its final effort of blood. The blood that could have been yours or Draco's. Madam Pomfrey had been sure to tell you of his generous donation as soon as you awoke but he had not visited you once. Not even to see if you were okay. But, you knew, he didn't care. For you or for anyone else.

There were chocolates on the side of your bed, ones you were clearly not going to eat. You had even offered Madam Pomfrey one, but she declined, insisting they were yours and only yours. You let Ron eat most of them after that.

Also, a vase of flowers sat on your bedside table from Hermione and Pansy (as Madam Pomfrey had combined the two gifts) and they let off a calming aroma, like lavender. 

You reached up win your right had to touch the scar on your jawline, the one your father had made, and wondered if the scar on your head would be another to add to your ever growing 'collection'. Maybe it would be a red one.

You sighed, knowing that you would much rather have no scars at all. No scars to remind you of the past and the things that had happened. 

Ron awoke slowly, attracting the attention of Madam Pomfrey as he started to sit up. She rushed over to him, and started talking in a hushed voice. After a minute, Ron looked over at you.

His face saddened. Of course. Ron couldn't stay in the hospital wing forever, he would be better sometime soon. You would, too, but you doubted that it would be in the next week. 

As Ron got up to go, he waved goodbye to you and you waved back, willing the sleep to come once you heard the door of the hospital wing click shut.

***

Your eyes opened. Not because you were finished sleeping but because something dark loomed over you. It was menacing, maybe even considered scary. It towered over the end of your bed, blocking off the light from outside of the window.

But, as your blurry eyes came into focus, you realised that the figure was not so dark after all but had blond hair and stormy grey eyes. You swallowed instinctively.

"If you want a thank you then thank you, for saving me... that is." you said in a half whisper because your throat had suddenly dried up. You remembered what you saw. When you were... not awake.

He just stood there for a second before walking around the bed and sitting down in the guest chair beside you.

"Was it something I..."

"No." he stated, looking blankly at the sheets of your bed. You swallowed again.

"Well if you didn't hear I'm..."

"Don't thank me." he grunted abruptly, now moving his eyes to meet yours. They were endless, and you could almost see down to his soul. "The last time I saw you you were in a coma."

You turned your head to the side, looking at the flowers your friends had so kindly brought to you. One of the pink flowers was wilted, looking at the floor in sorrow as the petals fell from its head so slowly yet too quickly.

"Why?" you asked, emotion evident in your strained voice. "Why do that for me?"

Malfoy dropped his eyes to the floor as his chest rose and fell at a steady pace. He wasn't in his uniform but only wearing his normal clothes. 

He chose not to reply to your questions.

"Please at least tell me why." you said again but he still stared at the floor and said nothing. There was no way that he came to see you just to say nothing. Even if he did you couldn't just see him and not try your hardest to entice an answer from him. 

You shuffled over to the side of your bed in a full upright position and reached over to pull his head in line with yours.

"Why?"

His eyes shined with emotion but his face seemed vacant. Malfoy said nothing, still, but looked up at you as if you had done something to him.

Then he kissed you. 

It was just a kiss. A gentle kiss.

"That's why." he said, his face inches from yours. He looked down at your lips one more time before pulling away  from your hand and leaving.

Light streamed down onto you from the window as you heard the door click shut. You sighed. What were you thinking?

The chocolates were still uneaten beside your bed and the pink flower had lost one more petal.

You closed your eyes once again. The hospital wing was so quiet: too quiet.

***

Please vote and comment on your favourite lines!