Shopping

Using the floo network still got to you, even though you had been using it for years. The feeling just made you sick but it was the quickest way of transporting you back to Diagon Alley.

Your grandmother was ill. It was one of the first times you had seen her so bad, and she just sat in bed and drank coffee all day. It was rather depressing to see her in such a way, especially because you had to go and get your school supplies with Malfoy and his father. 

You still wondered why you had to stay with them over the summer. She had never spoken much of the Malfoy family before you went to Hogwarts, so they certainly weren't family friends. She had told you it was for business reasons - as she collects and sells magical artwork and artefacts, but you doubted the story.

Mr Malfoy had never once spoken about it with her.

Your attitude towards Draco Malfoy had spiralled further down again after the incident with the green hair dye. You don't even want to talk about all of the spells you had to use to get it back to normal. You had almost cursed him for doing that, but you didn't, because his father scared you too much.

"(Y/n), Draco and I need to go to a shop down in Knockturn Alley so you'll have to join us." He turned, Draco following him, down into Knockturn Alley. Your grandmother would never let you go down there but the place had always interested you. Maybe it was because of all of the odd shops down there.

So, you followed them, interested to see why your grandmother would never let you.

You saw Draco recoil as he looked through the grimy window of the shop you were about to enter. He seemed to ignore whatever was there, though, as he stepped inside anyway. As you followed after him, you were his by a small of old, dusty books and sour milk. Not something you exactly wanted to be smelling. Draco was still looking around the room, maybe to see if what he was was still in there. 

The dark, paint-chipped shelves were topped with ancient artefacts and magical props and some gruesome looking things that you didn't want to describe. Lucius quietly stepped up to the counter and the shop owner spoke in a nasal voice,

"Oh Mr Malfoy it's such a pleasure to see you again, and young Mr Malfoy and Ms Thornheart too, delighted. I must show you today something very reasonably priced. I..."

"I'm selling today." Cut off Mr Malfoy, his nose pointing a little higher in the air. You took the chance to look around, gazing at all of the little objects and trinkets in the room. You found what looked like a coffin, and clicked the side of it open.

"HARRY?" You loudly whispered, looking at the boy with round dark glasses standing in the coffin, covered thickly soot. "What on earth are you doing here?" You coughed a little as some of the soot travelled off of him and into your nostrils. He smelt like burnt fabric.

"Sorry, (Y/n)," he whispered noting your coughing, "I came here by accident - I'm with Ron and Hermione. Just leave me here I'll meet you in Diagon Alley."

"(Y/n)!" you could here Mr Malfoy saying, "(Y/n), Draco, We're leaving!"

You said you'd meet Harry soon and rushed away, trying not to knock anything off of the shelves in your hurry to Mr Malfoy.

***

Once you had bought all of your school things you headed towards Flourish and Blotts. You hadn't seen anyone before that, not even Harry and he had said he would meet you back in Diagon Alley.

When you walked in, you saw him there - standing up and getting his photo taken with Gilderoy Lockhart. Gilderoy was quite handsome and you couldn't see why his reputation as a womaniser was so prevalent.

After a short while and many photos, Harry left the stage, winning a pile of books and awards from Lockhart and a huge clap from the audience. Then he saw you and walked over.

Draco, who was standing a few feet behind you, seethed with anger.

"Bet you loved that, didn't you, Potter?" said Draco. "Famous Harry Potter can't even go into a book shop without making the front page!" he mocked.

A little girl with Ron's red hair stepped up. Ginny Weasley, you thought. She was very pretty. "Leave him alone!" she said harshly through gritted white teeth. Her eyes were blazing with hatred.

"Oh look Potter, you've got yourself a girlfriend!" said Draco, looking over at a bright red Ginny. You knew what he was doing wasn't right. 

Bulling a young girl wasn't a very good look.

"Draco stop being such an idiot." You said, moving around to stand next to Ginny. You saw Mr Malfoy coming up behind Draco, his silver snake cane in hand.

"Now now, Draco, play nicely." He said pushing Draco aside. "Mr Potter," he smiled at Harry, "Lucius Malfoy."

Mr Malfoy held out a hand. Harry hesitated for a long moment, before shaking the blond man's hand lightly.

"Forgive me," he said, pulling Harry loser and moving his air aside, "Your scar is a Legend, as of course is the wizard who gave it to you."

You could see that harry really wasn't comfortable with this, his worst enemy's father was pulling aside his hair to look at his scar. You could tell that he was thinking of a wise and witty answer to comeback.

"Voldemort killed my parents." he said, mirroring the hatred that Ginny had just three minutes ago. Harry pulled back away from Mr Malfoy. "He was nothing more than a murderer."

"You must be very brave to mention his name, or really foolish!" said Mr Malfoy, a small smirk creeping onto his shark like face.

"Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself." said Hermione, looking straight at Mr Malfoy. He turned, confused to who had just spoken, and looked down at Hermione.

"And you must be Miss Granger." said Mr Malfoy, looking to you and Draco for confirmation. Draco nodded, but you didn't so much as blink.

You weren't going to be mean to your fried just for the satisfaction of the man. "Yes, Draco has told me all about you, and your parents. Muggles, aren't they?" 

Hermione glared at him and looked sideways towards her parents, who were standing and talking to Mr Weasley. 

"Oh and let me see," he continued, "Red hair, vacant expressions, tatty, second hand books: you must be the Weasleys."

You were not comfortable with this. You were shifting around and Hermione saw you and tapped you on the leg. Mr Weasley had come up behind his children.

"Come on children, let's go outside." he said in a jolly voice.

"Well, well, well. Weasley Senior."

"Lucius." he replied.

"Busy time at the ministry, Arthur, all of those extra raids. I do hope that they're paying you overtime, but, by the state of this," he grabbed one of Ginny's books, "I'd say not." He chucked Ginny's book back into her little cauldron. "What's the use of being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't even pay you for it?"

All of the children's mouths dropped. Even Draco's mouth hung slightly open.

"We have a very different idea about what disgraces the name of wizard, Malfoy"

"Associating with Muggles. I thought that your family could sink no lower. I'll see you at work." He said, and walked out through the door. 

"See you at school Potter. (Y/n) come on." Draco said, and stormed out of the door. 

All eyebrows raised at you. Maybe they thought that you had become friends with him.

"My grandmother forced me to stay with him over the holidays. It's not what you think. I'm really sorry, I have to go. I'll see you at school!" you said, grimacing, and walked after Malfoy and his father.

***

Please remember to vote and comment on your favourite lines!