36. Cross My Heart

*Being best friends is easy, but not when you're hopelessly in love with each other.*

It started with a promise, but don't they all; between children it's meant to be an innocent thing and it's usually the cutest thing.

They were age six and seven when they met and ended up being joined at the hip; They were in some classes together because Y/N was smart and she was bullied for it. Michael had been the only one that was nice to her and that's how they became the best of friends. She would sometimes help him study and they grew to be incredibly close.

When they were eight and nine they promised each other they would be each other's first kiss; they promised it would be only if it hadn't already happened.

They promised with the words, "Cross my heart and hope to die."

He once gave her a special necklace that had a wishbone with diamonds in it and Michael had it made specially; he put cross my heart and love, Michael on the back of it and gave it to her for her birthday. She cherished that necklace and never took it off unless she had to.

At twelve and thirteen they went to a middle school party where they played seven minutes in heaven; they ended up in the closet together and Y/N wasn't exactly ready yet. They ended pecking each other on the lips instead of having a real first kiss.

He had a girlfriend by the time he was fifteen and Y/N was awkward in her first few teen years. When he was eighteen he had his third girlfriend and they were still together after two years; Y/N hadn't yet experienced any of what he had and she didn't feel like she and Michael fit as friends anymore.

He developed a huge crush on her when he was fifteen and later started dating someone to bury those feelings; he didn't know that she felt the same though.

She was seen as a lame shy girl who no one was interested in because she was boring; Michael didn't think that way though.

He thought she had dated and really kissed someone already, but those were just stories she told so he wouldn't feel bad; if he really knew he'd probably be angry with himself. He didn't see how their classmates outcast her and pretty much ignored her existence.

Michael loved her because she was funny, kindhearted, and she was there for him through everything; she was miserable, but she hid it well.

His girlfriend, Brandi, didn't like the fact that his closest friend was a girl and she made sure Y/N knew. She wanted Y/N to keep her distance and pretended she was nice; all that mattered to Y/N was that Michael was happy.

Y/N lost her special wishbone necklace at one point and was devastated about it; she had a feeling Brandi had something to do with it.

She didn't really hang with Michael unless he was the one initiating it anymore and Michael noticed.

"Do you not like spending time with me anymore?" He'd asked one night as he played video games.

She played coy and said, "What do you mean?"

He sighed, "You don't call or text me anymore; is there a boyfriend I should know about?"

She laughed even though she didn't feel it, "I'm not dating anyone right now; I'm busy sometimes and I don't like texting or talking on the phone."

He nods as he studies her face, "But you text me because I text back."

"I know."

"Do you just not enjoy being around me anymore?"

She smiles and rolls her eyes, "Don't worry; I'll probably end up being your housemaid."