22. Always

*Maybe they weren't a mistake, because that would mean they didn't still love each other.*

One Year Earlier

"Are we breaking up?" He asks in a pitiful tone with saddest expression on his face.

I wipe my tears and shrug, "We're not happy. Our relationship was never happy, it was a mistake. We fight all the time, Michael. I can't live like this. I'm surprised we've been together this long."

He runs his hands through his hair, "Three years of fighting left and right, but we had a few good times, but you're right, it was a mistake."

I nod, "Yeah, I'm sorry."

He moves toward me and puts his arms around me, "Even though we're breaking up, I'll always love you."

The tears start again and I hug back as I whisper, "I'll always love you too. I honestly wish things were different."

He sniffles, "You know, maybe our timing was off. If we find a way back, then we were never a mistake, we just weren't ready."

I sob against his chest and say, "We can only hope."

He pulls back and nods, "Can we be friends?"

I wipe at my tears again, "Yeah."

Then he looks into my eyes and pulls me to him again. I wait for him to say something, but he doesn't, and we just hold each other. I don't want to let him go, but its just the way things are. Finally, he speaks, "Can we kiss one last time?"