Chapter 49

---Mindy

Preston and I were shopping for stuff for our baby girl. He wanted spoil her just as much as he's spoiled TJ and Hunter. I was 5 months along and wasn't very big. Preston was worried. Some people don't start to show very much until later on. His hand resting against my lower back.

A woman gave us a dirty look as she walked by. Preston gave her a smirk and she turned back to us. "Excuse me, miss?" I looked at her.

"What?"

"I'm sure you've done better than this."

"Than what?"

"Surely this man doesn't meet your standards."

"My standards? Look lady. I don't need standards. I am more than happy with my husband. Our family is happy. I don't need some stranger's criticism just because they are bored with their stupid life."

"Well, I never...."

"Bye." I said. She huffed and walked away. Preston slid his arm around my back, his hand resting against my hip. His other hand brushed my face.

"You said husband."

"That's what you're going to be, right?"

"Right. It's just nice to hear." he said. "I kinda thought we were still in the past."

"If we were in the past I wouldn't be pregnant." I said. He smiled and gave me a soft kiss.

That night, after shopping and not getting much of anything and after dinner, I was in the kitchen leaning against the wall. My stomach cramping up and my pants were stained with blood. Preston was on his way back from his mom's house. He arrived just as the ambulance arrived. The EMTs were taking me out to the ambulance just as Preston got out of his truck. "Mindy!"

Two months later, after avoiding Preston most of the time following the miscarriage, I was sitting at the kitchen table with TJ and Hunter. Hunter was working on his homework and TJ was coloring in his coloring book. "Mom?"

"Hm?"

"Are you and Preston breaking up?"

"Why would you ask that?"

"Because you avoid him and he's hurting."

"He is?"

"Yeah. He told me he was going to leave at the end of the week."

"Really?" he nodded. Hearing that hurt. I felt an ache in my chest. Tears came to my eyes.

"Mom..."

"You made mommy cry."

"I didn't mean it mom."

"Why don't you two go play in your room for a bit?" they went. I slid my hands to the back of my neck. I starred down at the table. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and sent Preston a text.

"You want to leave?"

"What?"

"I'm sorry for pushing you away and avoiding you. Please, can we talk about this before you leave? Please, I don't want you to leave."

Preston was home within 20 minutes, I was sitting on the kitchen floor with my head on my knees trying to stop this anxiety attack. Things got so much worse when Trent died. Preston was my only comfort when I got like this. "Mindy..." he sat beside me. "I didn't mean for it to sound the way it did when I was talking to Hunter. I have a business trip this weekend. The Head CEO is stepping down and I've been offered the position. I'm going to take it. It does hurt being avoided and all, but you need time."

"I didn't want time away from you. I just thought you would stay with me especially after the miscarriage, but you took off as soon as I got home." I said. He brushed my tears away.

"I didn't mean to hurt you like that. I was just trying to make sure you had everything you needed and I just wanted to give you space."

"I don't need anymore space."

"Okay." He hugged me. I slid my arm around his neck resting my forehead against his jaw. He hugged me close rubbing my back with his hands.