Chapter 18

---Alyssa

It's been 3 months since Matt's parents showed up uninvited to the cookout. Matt's temper was limited and when he was home with me and the babies, he was always happy and he never got angry. I was finishing up my work for the end of the year. I was almost done with Medical school.

Matt was in the garage working on something when I returned home from class. He walked out and saw the bruise on my cheek. "What happened?" he asked.

"Matt, I don't want to cause a fight." I said.

"Aly, I'm not going to get mad at you. What happened?" he asked again.

"Your dad followed me to the gas station." I said. He pulled me in for a hug.

"What gas station?" he asked.

"The one by Wal-Mart." I said. He took my hand and led the way inside. He called that gas station and they sent the footage to my brother at the police station. "Where are Layla and Mackenzie?" I asked Matt.

"Your mom took them to Babies R Us." Matt said.

"Oh okay. You do know that you can call my mom just mom don't you? My dad too."

"I know. I just don't feel right about that right now. Maybe I'm dumb enough to think shit will change."

"You are not dumb." I said sliding my arms around his neck. "You're smart, handsome, and I love you."

"I love you too baby." He gave me a soft kiss. I deepened the kiss parting my lips with his sliding my tongue into his mouth. He slid his hands down my back lifting me onto the counter. He pushed up against me making me gasp. He smiled softly. "No sex." he said carrying me into our room.

That night, I was laying in bed listening to Matt argue with his father who stopped by. They were arguing outside and luckily Mackenzie and Layla were asleep. Matt and I reconnected on certain levels in the intimate ways. He marked the other side of my neck. I heard a crash outside and got up. I looked out the window. My dad pulled up in front of the house and I saw that Matt was staggering holding his head. His father holding something. I saw the shine of silver. A gun. I ran downstairs and bolted out the door. I heard the gun fire and I slammed into Matt. I felt the impact in my leg. Matt and I hit the ground.

His dad was arrested. Matt was holding his head, his hands over his eyes. My dad got beside me. I was in such pain. "Matt, give me your belt." I heard Matt's belt.

"M-my babies." I said through clenched teeth and between sobs.

"Mom's with them right now." My dad tightened Matt's belt above my wound. "Matt, can you see?"

"A little, yes." my dad placed Matt's hands over my wound. My dad went to help my mom with Layla and Mackenzie.

"Matty, it hurts." I said between sobs.

"Don't ever do that again okay?" he said kissing me softly. He let the medics take over. I felt lightheaded. "Aly, stay awake." I felt myself go limp in Matt's hold.

At the hospital, I woke up and the first thing I saw was a bag of AB blood beside the bag of fluids. I turned my head slightly and saw Matt sitting in the chair beside my bed. His eyes still bloodshot from the stuff his father threw into his face. "Matty." I said. He looked up and smiled at me. He opened the all too familiar little box that held the ring.