Chapter 22

---Alyssa

It was my 6th month and we were having a baby boy.  It was New Years Eve and we were having a party.  Matt's idea of a party was working on the nursery.  I was leaning in the doorway to the baby's room.  "Matt, you're already almost finished, come downstairs.  People are arriving."

He was in front of me instantly.  "This is supposed to be a surprise."

"I didn't see a thing."  I said.  He pulled the door closed behind him.

"Right."  he said.

"You made your wifey walk all the way upstairs without a kiss."  He leaned in and kissed me.  He scooped me up and carried me downstairs.  "I'm too heavy."

"No you aren't.  You're perfect."  he said kissing me again.  He set me down on my feet and we went into the kitchen.  I grabbed snacks.  Healthy and unhealthy placing them on plates and in bowls.  Pickles specifically for me.  Matt helped me move stuff to the living room.  I sat down on the couch and tried to open my pickles. 

"Matty, will you open this?"  he took it and popped the lid off.  "Thank you."

"You're welcome."  he handed me the honey mustard.

My mom and dad arrived.  "Hey, hey prego."  my mom said giving me a hug.

"Awe, the party ended already."  Matt said and my mom swatted his arm.  

"Bring it kid."  my dad joked.  Matt put his hands up in fists jokingly.  I laughed.  Matthew Allen Lucas Jr. gave a kick.  I jumped startled.

"Aly?"  Matt asked.

"Your son kicks hard."  I said.  He put his hand over my stomach.

"Matthew Jr., be nice to mommy."  he said pressing a kiss to my stomach.

"Matt Jr.?"

"Yes."

"DADDY!"  Matt practically jumped over the table and bolted outside.  My dad jogged outside.  My mom helped me.  Matt was holding Mackenzie.  I saw blood and then I saw Mitch's wolf.  He ran off.

"My baby..."  Matt said holding her close to him.  I couldn't breathe.  I stumbled.  My dad helped my mom support me.

At the hospital, I refused to talk and even look at any one.  Matt was sitting against the wall his fists against his temples.  The funeral was set for this coming Saturday.  I was so mad and upset.  I just wanted to blow up.  I heard a crunch from Matt's direction.  His knuckles were covered in blood.  My mom entered the room just as it happened.  My dad managed to get him to stand.

A month later, Layla kept making Mackenzie's bed and Matt was staying at work later and later.  Murphy's health was decreasing.  He lost his best friend and I lost my baby.  Layla walked into the living room.  "Mommy, when's daddy coming home?"

"I don't know baby.  Come sit with mommy?"  she climbed onto the couch beside me.

---Matt

I left the office at 10:15 P.M. I arrived at home and found Layla and Alyssa asleep on the couch.  I carried Layla to her room and returned to Alyssa.  I sat down beside her and she woke up.  "You're home."