Chapter 43

I sneakily walk around listening for guards or people crying for help. But it's so quiet, too quiet.

It was eerily quiet and I got chills.

"Mmmm!!"

My head snaps to my left but it's quiet again. I walk toward the source of the sound and there's a house in the middle of the camp. I look through a window.. Nothing. I know something is in there, I just know it.

"Mmm"

I retrieve my hammer and stick the nail removing part into the crook of the windowsill and start pulling.

"Have you fed that little boy?"

My hammer gets stuck and I have to wiggle and move it around until the windowsill snapped off making me fly back. I grab the windowsill and my hammer quickly hiding behind a tent.

"No. I haven't fed him in two weeks, I think he's dead. He should be an infected by now, get his body and dump him"

What if that's Lacey's little brother? Oh my gosh, please don't let it be.

"Dill said we have to check the perimeter. He said he thinks he saw something climbing over the gate"

"Well let's go"

I wait a while and I emerge with a sick feeling in my stomach, somehow I knew it was Lacey's little brother somewhere in that house. I climb through the window and hit the floor.

"Glenn?" I whisper

"Mm"

I walk down the hallway and just as I pass the first door a small groan and a tiny hand scratches the door. I take a deep breath and twist the doorknob, as a crack in the door forms a small hand comes out. Scratching at the air.

I push the door open and the little walker falls back, my heart breaks a little as stab it in the head.

"Glenn?"

"Jay"

Oh great, a new nickname. I run down the hallway to a door, a brown door with scratches on the front. I waste no time opening the door, I stop myself just in time. There are stairs that go down..... And down.... And down until you can't see them anymore because they're covered by darkness.

I'd be looking for trouble if I went down there, I man up and run down the stairs terrified. I stand in the dark not daring to move any further

"Glenn.." I trail off

"I'm here, it's safe. There's a light switch right next to you"

I feel my way until I hit a bump with my fingers. I flick my wrist up and the lights turn on, it burns my eyes for a minute and then I go to Glenn.

"I knew you wouldn't listen" Glenn smiles

"Do I ever?"