Chapter Nine: Gone

I should have known better. In my right mind I suppose I always did. I just wanted to be through with it, to forget it all. I needed to let go of my past, and I had... almost. One small memory, an event that made me fear, that traumatized me, has kept me in link with my past. And now here he was, staring at me, blowing cigarette smoke into my face.

Of all nights, he had to come on this one. The day that was supposed to signal my new beginning, my new career. Here he was to ruin it all, just like every joyful memory I've withheld. Everything was destroyed by him. I hated to even think his name; I never dared speak it growing up. Oh if my parents, if Dallin saw me now, they'd arrest him. But clearly, in their state, that's nowhere near plausible.

He continued to straddle me, one hand around my small neck, the other holding the lit cigarette. He was enjoying me struggling beneath his grasp, he always had. I gave up, surrendering to him, hoping he wouldn't put that disgusting stick in his hand any closer to my flesh.

"What do you want?" I finally asked, trying to keep my voice small, thinking of what to do.

"Well isn't it obvious?" He chortled, his voice gravelly. He had a smile plastered on his face and it was making me sick. "I said I wasn't done. And you running away from me and your poor aunt didn't help. So here's the thing," he leaned closer, his breath stinking of alcohol and cigarette smoke. His hand holding the fag inched closer to my temple. I tried not to squirm on the close proximity of both him and the tar sick.

"You're coming back with me, where I'll teach you to respect your elders. And you can leave when I say you can. What do you have to say to that?" He asked, hoping I would be too afraid to respond. But I wasn't that frightened little girl anymore, I would fight back until I had nothing left.

"Go to hell." I spat, my saliva spraying onto his red cheeks and nose. He chuckled before grasping my neck tighter, causing me to fight for air.

"Wrong answer sweetheart." He hissed, pressing the lit fag to my temple, dragging it down, and stopping at my jawline. I screamed body murder with pain, but since we lived in college central, all of the students were at the beach celebrating another year’s pass. So no one could hear me. No one but Charlie, who was barking frantically at the door.

I was so infused with anger I lashed at him, clawing at whatever I could. He squeezed my wrist, making me squeal in pain. He pressed the cigarette to my exposed arm several times. I was losing strength, but I'd rather burn than go back to that wretched house. I went slack, causing him to ease up his grip on me. I took my chance, but I had to make it count. Once his hands had left my wrists I swung my arm up, bringing it swiftly back down with as much force as I could on his genitals. He howled in pain, giving me a moment to push him off. He recovered quickly, lunging for me. I kicked at him, making him fall to the ground.

Without a moment to lose I grabbed my keys from where they landed and jolted down the stairs. I threw the car into drive and peeled out of the parking lot. I couldn't go to the party, he would assume I would. I had to leave, disappear. And there was only one place I knew I could go to and feel safe. I racked my memory for directions, following street signs. I would explain it all to Mallory and Shamus later, but I need to go. There was only one place; San Diego.

***

"Where is she?" I whispered as soon as I found Mallory. Blair wasn't here, but I couldn't just up and leave to find her. Or could I?

"I haven't heard from her." She hiccuped in response. Mallory was totally out of it, she was smashed.

"Mallory, do you know how long we've been here?" I asked, watching as she took another drink of her alcohol.