Chapter Eight: Can't Let You Get Hurt

"Come on, come on, come on!" Mallory squealed as I finished getting ready.

"Hold on, hold on, hold on!" I gimmicked in the same pitch, jumping around.

"I don't want you to be late." She whined, flopping down on my bed. She rolled around, my sheets fluffing up as she did so. She let out an over exaggerated sigh, flinging her arms down.

"I'm trying to avoid Shannon remember?" I arched my eyebrows. It looked a little awkward since I only had one eye done with a turquoise eye shadow.

"Oh yea." She giggled, turning over, propping her upper body up on her elbows. "How is that going by the way?"

"I've been rushing out of class before he can talk to me, and I'm pretty much the last one in class, so he can't talk to me before either." I sighed, preoccupied with finishing up my eye make-up.

"Well think of it, after today, unless it's a miracle, you'll never see him again." She grinned, letting her elbows out from under her.

"Sure." I mumbled as I applied rouge lipstick. I touched up my hair, teasing it a bit before deciding that I was done.

I looked in my mirror at the black and turquoise sun burst dress I was wearing. It was form fitting, and short, but it still gave me decency. It ended just above my knees, the top showing off just enough, but not too much cleavage. My tattoo was visible, but I'd be wearing my cap and gown most of the night, I wasn't planning on staying at the party very long.

I slipped on a pair of my heels, shoving my high tops into my purse, no way was I going to wear those all night. I'd change into them in the car on the way to the party. Then I'd come home and pray (not that I prayed at all; I'm atheist) that I'd get an acceptance or denial letter from one of the magazine companies.

My heart began to race as Mallory jumped up from the bed and we walked to the front door. Charlie licked my hand, nuzzling it, giving me good luck before he curled up and went to sleep. I smiled and walked out the door, striding down the steps, and towards my future. Sure every day was the future; hell, each minute is the future, that's why I gotta make it count. Finally being my bachelor's degree would prove that I could do it.

The drive consisted of Mallory and I blasting our radio and singing to songs. We were terrible, but we were also just messing around. I was decent at singing, but I never wanted to make a career out of it. The last time I played the piano I was eighteen, so I don't think I can do that either. I could live with massacring songs for fun.

We pulled up to be greeted by a smiling Shamus. I grinned and let out a laugh. This was actually happening, it was over. I got out of the car, tugging down my dress that had risen up. My gown was hanging over my arm, my cap clenched in my nervous fingers. Shamus held out his arms, embracing me in a hug.

"Damn girl, you look hotskis." He giggled in an obnoxious gay voice.

"God Shamus, could you sound any gayer?" I joked, lightly hitting his arm.

"Bitch please; you gotta sound like this if you're as fabulous as I am." He flitted his wrist up in a twirling motion, batting his eyes.

"It sounds weird because of your accent." Mallory giggled, trying to suppress it. "Just stick with the normal Shamus gay, don't go all fabulous gay on us."

"Fine." He grumbled, hooking his arm through mine. In less than a second he flipped the conversation. "College graduates! I still can't even believe that they let my dumbass pass all those classes!"

"Shamus you know you're smart." I rolled my eyes and looking back in front of me to make sure we were going where we were supposed to.

"I have my moments." He grinned, flashing his straight white teeth.