Chapter Twenty Six

Today is the day of my graduation ceremony.  Late, I know, but my school has a weird way of doing things.  I had decided to go to Columbia in New York, but that meant Drake couldn't come.  They had security of their own, and didn't make any acceptions for anyone.  We weren't really talking about it much, I was hoping to avoid it as long as possible.  "You look stunning."  Drake held his arm out, and I gladly linked mine with his.  My mom, dad, Ryan, and a few other family members were here to watch.  I gave Drake a final kiss before going up on stage to wait for my name to be called.  One of the students came up on stage and gave a boring speech, then a lady began calling names out while the principal handed the diplomas over.  "Brittany Hendley."  She called.  I'm next.  I'm acually done with high school.  "Charolette Horan."  I walked across the stage in my blue graduation gown and matching cap.  A few bright flashes of light went off as I took the diploma out of my principal's hand and continued offstage.  Once it was over, I squirmed through the crowd to find my family, only to have my cheeks pinched for half an hour.  I was so excited to finally be done, with everything.  I unzipped the bright blue graduation gown after a few pictures were taken, to reveal my shorter lacy dress underneath.  "Well, I think we should celebrate with a graduation dinner!"  My mom clapped excitedly.  "Let's go to Romano's."  My dad suggested, smiling widely.  Of course, he loves food.  He's probably more excited about that than he was for the actual graduation.  I rode with Drake and Ryan to the restaurant, all while talking about my future plans.  To be honest, I'd looked at a few colleges.  I wanted to go to a college in Colorado, but nothing was set in stone yet.  The pros outweighed the cons, yeah...but there was one very big con.  Drake didn't live in Colorado, and he was looking to get a job here since he didn't need to work for my dad anymore.  I wasn't really sure where our relationship was going right now, and it scared me.  As we pulled up to the tall brick restaurant, I pushed my worries aside and grabbed Drake's hand in mine as we entered.  

"Mail's here."  Drake handed me a white envelope with the words 'University of Colorado.' on it.  Drake and I had talked about the whole thing, and he told me to go for it if I really wanted to...so I did.  This envelope will determine the rest of my life.  I slowly opened it, and looked at Drake once more.  He took a seat beside me, clearly just as nervous as I was.  I unfolded the piece of paper, and read the first line.  'Congratulations!  I am pleased to inform you of your admission to The University of Colorado!'  I did it, I was accepted.  To the college I never thought I would be applying to.  "I...I got in."  Was all I said.  Drake smiled, and wrapped his arms around me.  "That's great, I'm so proud of you!"  I knew he was happy for me, and I was happy too, but I couldn't help but let a part of me be upset.  "What's going to happen?  With us?"  It was the question we'd been avoiding all this time, but I had to ask.  I would be leaving in a few weeks.  "We'll have a long distance relationship.  We can talk on the phone every night, and I'll fly out there any time I can.  We can make this work."  He only held me tighter with each word.  I wanted to believe that we could, but I wasn't so sure.  

"I love you, and I'll see you soon."  Drake pulled me into his chest.  I refused to believe this was happening.  I was really leaving for college, and leaving my boyfriend back at home.  "Don't cry, angel."  He wiped a stray tear away, before wiping one of his own.  My parents and uncles were all standing around too, and they wouldn't admit it, but they were getting teary-eyed.  As a voice came over the loud speaker announcing my flight number, I reluctantly let go to hug my family.  After some very long, emotional hugs and kisses on the cheeks, I turned back to Drake one last time.  "See you soon.  I love you."  He pecked me on the lips, and smiled sadly.  "I love you too.  Call me tonight."  I nodded, and picked up my backpack.  I waved to everyone before walking through the door leading to the long hallway in front of me.  On the trip there, all I could think about was everything I was leaving behind.  The old lady beside me asked if I was ok several times, as well as the flight attendant.  I was thankful to get away from the kid who sat behind me the whole time when we landed, although it wasn't home.  After I got my bags, I went to the cab that waited outside the double doors.  My dad bought me a white four door jeep that was at my apartment so I could have my own transportation.  The college was beautiful, even more so than the pictures.  Trees lined the whole place, as well as the iron gate.  That's one of the reasons my dad liked this place so much, it had a lot of security.  I got settled, met my roommate, and eventually found my car so I could take a look around a little more before school starts tomorrow.