Chapter Twenty-Two - Doctor Annie

Start from the beginning

"No," she said. "I think you've done some bad things, but you aren't a bad person."

"I'm not the person everyone thinks I am."

"Cole..." she trailed off, looking like she wished she was anywhere but here.

"Say it. I know you're thinking about her." I swallowed, forcing her name out. Even now it felt like nails sliding down my throat. "About... Aly."

"Cole, you can't deny what you did..." she began, but I cut her off, needing to explain myself and show her I wasn't the person I was accused of being. I didn't know why I needed to tell her, I just needed her to know that.

"No, I can't. But it didn't happen like everyone thinks it did. I really loved her. I...I'd been in love with her for months, but I promised myself I’d stay away because I felt like bad things happened to people who got close to me. But one night at a party I got drunk. And she was there, and suddenly I didn't feel scared anymore. But the next moment I woke up  in an unfamiliar bed and realised what I did. I broke up with her because... I didn't want her getting hurt. So I broke up with her and pretended that I had no feelings for her. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life."

"Well, then I think you should tell her that," Annie murmured, seeming shocked at my revelation. I was taken aback by her words.

"What?"

Annie sighed and stopped bandaging, laying down the small pieces of plaster so that she could look directly into my eyes. "I think she deserves to know the truth. You should meet up with her and explain it to her."

"I don't know if she'd even take my calls." My voice came out glum and sour when I said that, and I swallowed it down.

"Well, then you keep trying until she gives in. She deserves to know, Cole."

I nodded. "Yeah, you're right. I never wanted to hurt her."

"What about all the other girls?"

My head snapped up, and I furrowed my brow, genuinely confused. "What other girls?"

She blushed. "All the other girls you've... been with."

"I've never been with any other girls," I said, bewildered.

"But every weekend girls are saying they spent the night with you."

"Well, they were lying. Alyra was my first and last. I'd never do that to a girl." I looked down to the floor. "Even I have standards."

"You continually surprise me, Cole," she muttered, picking up the thin strips and going back to fixing me.

"What do you mean?"

She frowned, thinking through her words carefully. Her hazel eyes skittered around the room, never focusing anywhere as she thought carefully. "I just... I've always been so sure I knew what kind of guy you were. A player, a heartbreaker. But you keep finding ways to prove me wrong. First with Grace and now this. I shouldn't trust you. I should think you're lying... but I know you're not. There's something that just... makes me trust you."

"I'm telling the truth, Annie," I whispered. "I'm not a bad guy. People just take me the wrong way, or... they lie."

"I believe you," she said. "I shouldn't believe you, but I do."

Some impulse took over me, and I found myself leaning towards her. An hour ago I was fighting another dude over Grace, and now I was going to kiss her best friend, someone I had barely talked to before. I didn't even know if Annie had a boyfriend or not! All I knew was that neither of us was pulling away.

My hand reached up and lightly traced her soft jaw, and I felt her swallow nervously.

Our lips hovered over each other for a few seconds, and my heart beat faster in my chest. What was happening to me? I'd never felt like this before. This was a new, foreign feeling.

But I liked it.

At the last possible second she turned her head to the side and looked away. My lips brushed against her cheek gently, and I quickly pulled back, shocked at what we'd been about to do.

"Uh, I should get you home," she murmured quietly. "Before the snow gets any worse."

I schooled my features from the hurt and confusion I was feeling and swallowed thickly, nodding. "Um, yeah."

She grabbed me two aspirins and a glass of water and then began to dispose of all of my bloody gauze and methodically pack away everything in the first aid kit. It was impossible not to notice the slight tremble in her normally steady hands. Was it fear? Nerves?

I didn't know what was going on with my feelings towards Annie...

But I was gonna find out.

~          *         ~

I'M UPDATING EARLIER DUE TO TWO CERTAIN AMAZING GALS IN MY LIFE TELLING ME TO UPDATE. (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE)

I bet you all weren't expecting this to happen, were you?

This chapter is dedicated to Bookworm390 for supporting all of my books as much as she has. Thankyou!!!

I've decided that I will be updating quicker from now on, since I have the chapters and outlines more or less finished from now on. SO, if I get enough votes and comments each chapter, you can expect faster updates.

So, if you want an update this Friday...

COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT VOTE VOTE VOTE AND SHOW ME YOU WANT ANOTHER UPDATE.

We're in the final stretch of the book, and this is where everything starts to come together. Yay!

Don't forget to 

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN

SHARE

ADD TO YOUR READING LIST

AND SIGN UP FOR THE ONE-SHOT CONTEST!

WOO-HOO

Laterz,

xXx