Zane's Funk and The Question

Aphmau knocked on Zane's door. He hadn't answered her calls, and had never been seen out of his house in the past couple of days. She was concerned, as Zane was her best friend, aside from Kawaii~Chan and Katelyn. It had been two months since he had reformed, and they had grown closer than ever. He had even given her a gift on Christmas, even though it was a little late. Aphmau touched the small orchid charm that hung from her golden chain necklace. The amethysts sparkled fervently, even though it had been a while since she had gotten it. She could still feel the soft tickle of Zane's fingers as he had put his gift on her neck. Aphmau tried the handle. The door opened. This made her even more concerned. Zane never left the door unlocked. Quietly, Aphmau walked up the stairs, toward a soft weeping sound. She stood outside a door. It didn't seem to be the bathroom, so she opened it. It was Zane's bedroom. The walls were plastered in rock and Our Little Horsies posters, and the black curtains were drawn shut. Books littered the floor and an ebony desk that lay in one corner. Dirty laundry surrounded the floor around an ebony dresser, and a small lamp was glowing on the bedside table. A small bed, with an ebony frame, white and gray striped covers and pillowcase, lay in the other corner. A large lump was formed under the blanket, and shaggy black hair peeked out from the edge of it, near the pillow, a Pinky Cake plushie, and...the drawing of him and her cat-self. Aphmau walked across the room, to the lump that was Zane. She sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Zane, I know you're under there. Please tell me what's wrong?" Aphmau began.

Bitterly, Zane replied, "You don't need to be here out of pity, Aphmau. Don't waste your time on me. You probably don't want to be friends with me because you want to, you just want to be friends with me because you feel sorry for me."

Aphmau was shocked. What ever gave him that idea? She truly cared about him, not out of pity, and probably more than she'd like to admit... "Zane...I want to be friends with you because I truly want to. I care about you, and I wouldn't be here if it were out of pity. I was genuinely concerned that you haven't answered my calls, or leave the house," she said.

"How do I know you aren't lying?" he asked.

She answered, "Come out of the covers , and I'll show you."

Reluctantly, he did. Aphmau was kinda surprised. For one, he was wearing a Twilight Sprinkles shirt, not a Pinky Cake shirt, and for two...he had his mouth-cloth off. His lips were thin and pale, as was his cheeks, and his icy blue eyes were puffy from crying. His shaggy black hair was messier than usual, and his face was soaked with tears. Then, she darted forward and wrapped him in a hug, her arms under his, resting her hands on his neck and the small of his back.

Zane's heart was pounding out of his chest, and his cheeks turned a tomato red. All the space between them had been closed with Aphmau's hug. This sensation was new, this sensation was unfamiliar, this sensation was......nice. He had never been hugged before, ever. He liked it. He returned the hug, enveloping her in his strong arms, curling his fingers into her soft, long black hair. What he didn't know, is that her cheeks were red, redder after he returned the hug.

"Kawaii~Chan told me that my heart races when I lie. She can tell because she has eyes as sharp as a cat's. You are my friend. I genuinely care for you, and want to be your friend. NOT because I pity you. You are strong, you are smart, and you are kind. Zane, you are one of the best people I've ever met and known. Now, is my heart racing?" Aphmau asked.

Zane could feel her heart beat against his. Her heart beat was steady, and strong. He shook his head, lightly as not to hurt the precious girl in his embrace. She then, very much to his surprise, nuzzled her head against his neck. This feeling was sensual.

Aphmau pulled away, and walked to the door, calling out over her shoulder, "Come on, let's get you cleaned up. And, by the way: forget the mask. You look better without it."

Zane blushed, and replied, "Okay. Let me, uh, tidy up a bit first."

She bobbed her head in agreement, and walked to the bathroom. Opening the closet, she pulled out a towel and placed it near the shower. Aphmau turned the knobs until it reached a nice, warm temperature. She then chose an outfit from the clean clothes in Zane's laundry room. A black tee-shirt, worn blue jeans, and, well, undergarments were what she laid out. Aphmau then walked downstairs, deciding to make them both breakfast. Whistling, she got out bacon, pancake mix, chocolate chips, and the proper utensils. First she made pancakes, and then made bacon. Finally, she mixed up some hot chocolate for them both. Zane walked in, dressed and drying his shaggy, black hair with the towel.

"Mmmm. Smells delicious. Thank you, Aphmau....for everything. I don't know how I would get on without you," he said.

She blushed, partially at the compliment, partially at the fact that he was drying his hair, and in the process unknowingly showing off his muscles, and replied, "Well...um...what are friends for? Now, lets eat!"

They sat on the couch, watching Our Little Horses and eating the chocolate chip pancakes and bacon. Zane explained why he had sat there, weeping. Apparently, he had tried to patch things up with Garroth, and befriend Laurence and Dante. They laughed at him, and then laughed at him more when he said that he was friends with Aphmau, then said that she was only friends with him out of pity, if at all.

Aphmau responded, angrily, "How dare they! That was very rude of them! I have half a mind to go down and give them a piece of my mind! You know what? I won't talk to them unless they apologize. And they won't know why I'm not talking unless they try to. They are being absolute jerks."

"Oh, uh, I don't want you to ruin your friendship with them for my sake. Please, I just want you to be happy," Zane protested.

Aphmau kept insisting on this favor, "No, Zane. You are my one true best friend. I am closer to you than I am to them. If they made you feel this terrible, then they deserve the silent treatment, even if they deserve a slapping too."

Zane looked at her, surprised, "Aphmau...You are my best friend too. Thank you for...everything. And um...I have something I've been meaning to ask you...."

Aphmau's heart started to pump, was this what she hoped it was? Zane's eyes darted away, his face and ears blushing bright hue of pink. Come on Zane...Just...Ask her. She is your best friend. It shouldn't be this hard to ask her. Please... please... please...accept me... Meanwhile, Aphmau's mind was racing. This could open up a world of opportunity. Her fantasies, all of them, could come true.

"Um...I was...uh...wondering if you...would maybe...um...maybe...errr..." he finished the sentence with an inaudible mutter. His blush grew darker, into a pale red.

The girl, oh so curious, asked, "What was that? Whatever you have to say, I will listen and won't judge."

He cleared his throat. "I...I...wanted to know if...if...you would...go on a...date with me?" Zane was now a bright red, and his eyes were staring at the tip of his sock.

Way to go, doofus. She isn't going to go out with you, that was just wishful thinking. Those fantasies will never happen, Zane thought, depressed. Aphmau was ecstatic. Her dreams...his warm embrace...relaxing while resting her head on his lap, cuddling at night, protecting each other from the Demons of Nightmares...they can come true now. She wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug, and kissed his cheek.

"I would love to go on a date with you!" she exclaimed, blushing a furious pink.

Zane's ears and face were glowing a deep scarlet. He was not hesitant to return the hug, and to plant a kiss on the top of her head. His longings, they would now become reality. Aphmau could now be his, and he could now always feel happy. This was...this was...the best thing that ever happened to him. No longer would he have any lonely nights. No matter how mean others would be, he could now have his beloved Aphmau.

A/N  Sup, Spuds/Djs! I know that I am updating this way too quickly. I already have a lot down. Tell me what you think...AND TELL MEH WHAT U PERFER! SPUDS OR DJS! Btw: I am gonna use the "Zane's Funk" scene in the fanfic I am gonna start right about...now. Welp. Gunna write down the next couple chapters for this story! Bai~ <3