Chapter 21

"Avril?" Xander asked with a smile on his face.

"That's my name, you're Xander right?" I replied.

He chuckled. It rang in my ears like music.

He was wearing a black t-shirt and khaki shorts. His black hair almost covered his eyes. He looked goth. He was also wearing green gardening gloves.

"You help with the gardening?" I questioned. He nodded. He didn't seem really happy about it.

The sun was starting to go down.

"It's boring having to weed and plant things all day," he complained.

"At least you're helping the environment." I tried to cheer him up.

He smiled. He looked better when he smiles. I had never noticed how good looking he was. His jawline was perfect and his blueish gray eyes shined.

"So, what brings you here?" he asked curiously. His voice was a little deep, but not too deep.

"Nothing really," I replied.

"I could use some company. I'm really lonely since I don't know anyone. There aren't many humans here."

"I could stay at Court for the whole week if you want. I have a week long break from school," I offered.

He started to smile again. His smile was so radiant.

"Yes, please!" he exclaimed. He looked like a little kid being offered ice cream during the summer.

"Okay," I laughed.

He smiled wider. I swear I was scared that his smile would rip his face.

"I'm so glad that the Devil I encountered was you. You're the nicest anyone has ever been to me," he grinned. 

I felt my heart thump. What the hell?

"Do I still need to suck up to the Council so that they'll let me live?" I forgot about that.

"I won't let them kill you," I replied seriously.

"How?"

"I don't know, but I won't let them kill you no matter what." This is how I really felt. I didn't want them to kill Xander.

I would do anything just so that he could live.

It felt weird since we barely knew each other, but somehow, it felt like we could be really good friends.

He walked up to me and embraced me. I felt my heart beating faster. What the hell?

He let go. He had a genuine smile on his face.

"Thanks," he said.

"Avril!"

I turned around and saw Kyle.

"Kyle?"

Kyle walked up to me. He looked at Xander.

"Aren't you that human?" he asked Xander.

"Yeah, aren't you that Devil?" Xander replied.

Kyle glared at him. What's his problem?

"So, what did you want?" I asked Kyle.

"Oh, um, Audriana and the gang wanna hang out with yo. You've had a pretty rough week."

I glanced over at Xander.

"I should get back to working. Thanks for keeping me company, hope you have fun," Xander said.

"Okay, bye," I smiled at him.

I walked back into the building with Kyle.

"Don't get too attached to that human," Kyle muttered.

"Why?"

"Because, they're gonna kill him," he replied harshly.

I felt angry by his comment.

"No they're not," I spat.

"How do you know?"

"Because I won't let them!" 

Kyle looked astonished by my outburst.

"You know, you'll never stand a chance against the Council," he sounded angry. He was starting to piss me off.

"So? I'll find a way. I won't let them kill Xander!" I yelled.

He halted.

"Why do you care so much about some stupid human?" He looked down at the ground.

"Because, he's just like me befor-" I stopped. I almost told about my past life. I've never told anyone about it. It still hurt a little to think about it.

"Before what?" Kyle asked curiously.

"Nothing," I responded quickly. But that probably made him more suspicious. 

"You know it's not nothing."

"Yeah, fine, it's not nothing. It's just none of your business," I snapped. 

Kyle had ruined my mood and I didn't feel like being nice to him. He's been getting on my nerves lately.

I walked away from him.

~Kyle POV~

Damn it! What the hell is wrong with me?

I've been pissing off Avril too much lately! But I hate how she cares so much for that human!

She's just gonna get hurt, 'cause I know that they'll kill him.

But I think this was the first time that she's ever yelled at me. Honestly, I'm a little hurt.

I didn't want her to get attached to that human. She's just gonna get hurt when they kill him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you don't hate Avril for yelling at Kyle. :3

Please vote, comment, and fan! =]