Chapter 11

"Aaah!" I screamed.

The human looked at me with wide eyes and fear. He started to back away on his bed. Then Kyle came in.

"What happened?" He asked. Pulling a curtain to his right.

I screamed again. His cheeks reddened and he closed the curtain. Ms. Wells was next to the human and she put her arms around his neck as if trying to choke him.

"Tell me what you saw last night!" She yelled at him.

"Please don't kill me!" He replied. I quickly put on my clothes. Pretty hectic huh?

I went up to the human. He looked extremely frightened.

"Let him go," I said to Ms. Wells. She shook her head and held her grip on him. "Look I'm not gonna kill you," I said, reassuringly.

He sighed in relief. He started to relax.

"Yeah, you're not gonna kill him, the Council's gonna decide if he dies or not," Kyle said.

The human was panicking again. Seriously, he was getting on my nerves. I slapped him across his face. It turned red immediately.

"He's right," Ms. Wells said. "It's up to the Council whether you live or not. You're just gonna have to kiss their ass and get them to like you."

He had calmed down a bit, after knowing that there is a small possibility that he could live. I hate to kill humans, they were like background characters in all of the drama with Devils and Angels.

"What's your name?" I asked. He looked up at me and looked down at his feet.

"Xander," he replied.

"I'll go make a call to the Council," Ms. Wells said. She went to find her cell phone and dialed a number.

 I watched Xander sit there in silence. He didn't look up. He only looked down at his feet.

"Um.." he began, his grey, almost blue, eyes looked into my dark blue eyes. "Never mind."

After a while, Ms. Wells came back.

"You," she pointed at Xander."You're going to be working at Court and the council will decide what to do with you."

"Don't I get a say in this?" Xander asked weakly.

"No." Ms. Wells shook her head. "Avril, you keep him in your room until someone comes to take him." I nodded.

~~~

I walked, I mean dragged, Xander to my dorm.  I was pulling him by his shirt since he was protesting about going to my dorm.

"I'm not going anywhere with you!" He yelled trying to plant his feet on the ground. But failed since I'm so strong.

"Don't make me carry you like a princess!" I yelled back. We finally got to my dorm.

I opened the door and threw him onto Audriana's bed. He glared at me. Oh, now he acts angry.

I sat on my bed right across from him. My clothes stank of blood. I needed to change my clothes, hell I needed to shower! There was still dried blood on my skin. But if I shower, Xander might escape. I grabbed some clothes.

I walked into the bathroom but kept the door open, it was right next to the door of escape. I took a bunch of paper towels and wet them. I wiped off all of the dried blood and changed into black shorts and a blue t-shirt.

I sat on my bed again and looked at Xander. We both sat in silence.

"Are they really gonna kill me?" Xander finally asked.

"I don't know." I shrugged. "I really pity you. Why were you there in the first place?"

"I heard a scream and I just felt like I should help whoever it was," he replied. What? He went out to help someone he didn't know, knowing that there was danger?

"But I was too late! You killed her!" He yelled. "Did you not hear how she screamed? She sounded so scared, when I heard her scream it sent shivers down my spine. Just hearing a scream like that, so full of fear, it's just nerve racking!"

Woah. My scream was really that horrible? But he thought the person that screamed was Sophia? Wow.  

"The girl who screamed isn't dead," I said. Xander looked up at me, his eyes asking me what happened to her. "That girl was me."

"No," he objected.

"Yes."

"But you're the one who did the kill!"

"Just because I won, doesn't mean that I wasn't the one that screamed." I glared at him.

"You liar!"

"Damn it, why don't you shut up and sit quietly like a good little kid?" He was starting to annoy me.

"Little kid? I'm not a freaking little kid! Shit, I'm probably older than you," he said.

"I'm 15, what about you?" I asked.

"Ha! I'm not a little kid, I'm older than you! I'm 16." He spat at me.

"Shut up," I demanded, and he did.

I laid down on my bed, slamming my head on my pillow. I sighed. Xander might be annoying but still, I don't want him to die. All he wanted to do was to help someone who he thought was in need.

I shouldn't have screamed, then he wouldn't be in this mess.

"I'm sorry," I said. I've been apologizing too much lately and it felt really weird.

"For what?" Xander asked.

"For dragging you into this mess."

"I don't really care anymore." His response surprised me a little. "I'm serious, now that I think about it, I don't have a reason to live. I ran away from my family and I don't have any friends."

He was.......just like me in my past life. I didn't have friends back then and I didn't have a family that supported me.

"You're just like me in my past life," I murmured to he couldn't hear.

"Did you say something?" He asked.

I shook my head, a small smile forming on my face. I want to help this person.

"I'll be your friend," I said. He looked at me, confused. "If you want, I just thought that if you're gonna die you should at least have someone to mourn over your death."

He looked shocked. He looked down as if he was thinking.

"Okay." Was all he said.

"So, we should get to know each other. I'm Avril Alvah. I'm a Devil."

"I'm Xander Benson, and I'm a human," he responded.

We talked about stuff until there was a knock on the door. I went to open it. Two of the Council guards were here to take Xander. One had black hair and the other had brown hair. They were both wearing suits and sunglasses. They look like secret agents.

I kinda didn't want them to take him, but I kept this to myself.

"Come on," the black haired guard said.

Xander obeyed and walked to the door. He stopped in front of me. He was a few inches taller than me, so were the guards, making me feel like a midget.

He wrapped his arms around me, giving me a hug. I was shocked at first but hugged him back. He let go and walked out with the guards.

He turned back to look at me with a face that I couldn't read. He turned the corner and was out of my sight. I was a little sad seeing him leave, he was so much like me in my past life. I wanted to be there for him so he wouldn't be lonely like how I was.