It's What You Do to Me (20)

Start from the beginning

“She’s tried to get famous from her brother all the time,” Bekka informed me with a wave of her hand, as if it was no big deal. “It’s so obvious in all the interviews and stuff. She’s always with him wherever he goes. She just wants to be famous.”

“No, Jay was the one that wanted to be famous,” I blinked, remembering back to when I had first met Kendra and Jay. Kendra started crying and yelled at Jay, saying it was all his fault that River was taken because he wanted to be famous.

“That’s not what I heard,” Bekka shook her head, crossing her arms in front of her chest just as we got in front of River’s dorm room. “I heard that she was the one that moved her family to L.A. to become famous, but Jay was recognized instead. She’s pretty much a talentless slag.”

“Agreed,” was all I said before knocking on River’s door.

When he opened the door, he rolled his eyes and let out a groan when he saw it was me. He then looked at the girl who was standing beside me, and I was shocked to see her eyes were so wide that I thought her eyes were going to fall out of her sockets.

“Whoa,” was all she said, blinking a few times as if to make sure he was really there standing before her. “Is that seriously you? You haven’t looked like that since seventh grade…”

River’s eyebrows furrowed as he stared at Bekka, obviously not knowing who she was. How could he forget his first real love? Kendra didn’t count! They were just stupid little kids when they promised that they would marry each other! It wasn’t legit or anything!

“And you are?” River asked, crossing his arms over his chest before turning back toward me. “Brought your emo friend to try to convince me something that isn’t true?”

“He sounds like you,” I groaned to Bekka as I covered my face with my hands. I remembered the time when Bekka had called River emo negatively, even though she was emo as well. “Fix him.”

“I can’t fix him,” Bekka sighed, rolling her eyes at me before looking back over and eyeing River up and down. “Even though he obviously is broken.”

“Is there something you need, emo girl?” he now scowled, getting ready to slam the door into our faces. “I’d like to get rid of the psycho and her emo friend.”

I wanted to groan again, but I bit my tongue to stop myself. I didn’t know River could insult people so easily like this. But what if Rex said was true, River didn’t talk so openly to anyone unless he felt like he was close to them. Even though a new River was standing before us, the old River was still inside of him. He was still the same person. So, since he was speaking this way to us… Did that mean that he felt like he was close to us somehow? I really hoped so…

“Oh, River,” Bekka began in a whiny voice, stomping her foot against the ground once before stepping closer to him. This sure surprised me. “Don’t you remember me at all? Don’t you remember? Rebecca Stewart? Bekka with two Ks for short?”

Was this how she had acted toward River before they got together? Whiny and practically desperate? That was sure weird… I didn’t think I would ever be able to get over this.

“Two Ks?” River blinked, his nose wrinkling in disgust as he took a step away from her. “What a poser.”

I could see Bekka’s eye twitch, and I felt like she was about to beat him down or something. She took a step away from him, her normal nasty look on her face as she scowled at him.

“Okay, fast forward,” she announced, her arms crossing over her chest as she cocked her right hip out to the side. “I’ll act how I did after the break up.”