"Temper tantrums are so cathartic, aren't they? It's like when you're sick and have to vomit, but you try to hold it in because there are people watching and it's embarrassing. Letting it out is good; holding it in is bad. I prefer to punch a heavy bag though--I don't like to make a mess--but whatever works for you."

"Get out!"

"No, I can't do that," said Lindsay as she sipped her coffee.

"Get out you imbecile, or I'll throw you out!" roared Snape.

Lindsay looked him in the eyes and sighed. "Wow, that was really hurtful, Professor. But this is good; we're getting the negative feelings out in the open. It's always best to talk things through especially since we never worked out that last angry outburst when you threw me out." She took another sip of her coffee. Snape flicked his wand and the coffee cup flew out of her hand and smashed against the dungeon wall. Her eyes followed the smashed cup. "Hmm, I was really enjoying that too, but it is very late to be drinking coffee." She turned back to meet Snape's eyes. "Am I supposed to cry now, or were you expecting fear? I hate to disappoint you, but I don't cry easily and as for fear...well, let's just say that I've encountered far more frightening things than you."

"Get out this instant," growled Snape as he rushed toward her and grabbed her wrist. She twisted and locked his wrist. He winced as his grip was pried away and stepped back from her. "Your wizardly gifts may be superior to mine, Professor, but I'm no petite weakling. My body is strong and I know how to use it."

Snape pressed his fingers into his temples. He was trying to restrain his temper enough to keep from hexing her, but she continued to press him. His faced turned oddly pale and appeared marble-like. Lindsay saw the change, but ignored it. "I'm not such a fool, you know. I read people well. I know you're deliberately trying to make me hate you. Well, it's not working; I don't hate you. I don't even dislike you, but you do get under my skin sometimes. I'll grant you that much."

"A moving speech, is my heart to be warmed by that fact that you like me?"

"I never said that I liked you. I haven't decided that yet."

"Do inform me when you've made up your mind. I shall be most anxious to learn the verdict."

"You think you're all hidden in your buttoned-up blackness. You're not such a great mystery, you know. You're nasty because you think you can't have me. You think I'm too far out of your league, which, of course, I am--and don't think for a second that I'm not fully aware of it." Snape's face flushed an ugly dark red and the veins in temples began to pulse. "Well, that hit a nerve, didn't it?" said Lindsay, her smile broadening. "See, I can be hurtful too. But if you really fancy a game of verbal tag, I can play all night, and I can cut just as deeply as you."

Snape drew his wand in a rage with the full intent of hexing her, but as soon as the energy was expelled it shot back at him. He was knocked violently off his feet and landed hard on the dungeon floor. "Oops," said Lindsay. She looked indifferently at him as he glared at her from the floor. "Sorry, Professor, that happens involuntarily. You might want to think twice before hexing me again." She stepped toward him and bent down, speaking softly. "I don't want to fight with you, and I don't want to be your best friend. I just want to get along. Can we do that...please?" She stood and extended her hand. Her calm jovial demeanor had a similar effect on him as an ice bath. He sat on the floor breathing heavily and feeling foolish. He hesitated before taking her hand. Once upright, he flicked his wand and the room began to right itself.

"What did you do?" asked Snape huffily.

"I don't know. That's why I'm here, so people like you can explain it to me. I promised the Headmaster that I'd keep that ability to myself. I feel badly about that; I like to keep my word. So... you want to get some ice cream?" He frowned and stared at her like she'd just said something incomprehensible. He stashed his wand in his pocket. Lindsay left the room fully expecting the door to be slammed shut behind her, but was astonished to find that he chose to accompany her—and at a reasonable pace instead of his usual hurried stalking stride.

"Would you care to explain to me what you're doing in the dungeons at this hour?"

"The Weasley twins blew up my rooms again." Snape's head turned toward her. He didn't need to say anything as the question was clearly written on his face. "I've learned not to ask. I saw black smoke coming from under the door so I just left. I'd rather not be around when Professor McGonagall finds out, so I took to aimlessly wandering the castle. I heard the commotion in your office and thought it was Peeves, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered you."

"And if it had been Peeves?"

"I didn't think that far ahead."

"Clearly," said Snape.

"I feel compelled to point out the fact--just in case you didn't notice--that I didn't ask what was bothering you..." Snape stopped and glared at her. "...and I don't intend to, but if you're ever in the mood to share, I'm all ears."

"I'll keep that in mind," said Snape and resumed his pace.

"Did you hear about Black brandishing a knife at poor Ron Weasley?"

"I did," said Snape.

"I can't imagine how he's getting in with all the security here."

"It is a mystery, and one that you should take more seriously. Walking about the castle unescorted isn't wise."

"An escaped convict wouldn't have any interest in me; I talk too much. He'd get caught like that." Lindsay snapped her fingers. "I haven't had ice cream in ages. Double fudge sounds good or maybe butter almond. You'll tell me if I get almonds stuck in my teeth, won't you? I hate when that happens and no one says anything. So what's your favorite flavor?"

"I don't have one."

"I know what you mean. There are so many good ones, how do you pick just one?"

The house-elves instantly became a blur of commotion and filled the kitchen with noisy chatter when they saw Lindsay enter. The noise and commotion halted as soon as Snape entered behind her. They sat at a small table facing each other. Lindsay had a large bowl of various flavors of ice cream, some she'd never tried before. Snape had a single scoop of vanilla that sat untouched and melting in front of him.

"Don't get sick on all that ice cream, Professor."

Snape scowled as he eyed her, looking mildly irritated, which Lindsay interpreted as his version of a good mood. Then his expression softened and a small devilish smirk appeared as though something had just occurred to him. His eyes glittered as he spoke. "So how are you enjoying the Gryffindors?"

"They're an excitable bunch, but nice kids for the most part."

"Excitable is a polite way of describing them. I've always thought of them as an unruly bunch of rabble-rousers."

"That's a bit harsh, Professor."

"You haven't dealt with them as long as I...unless, perhaps, you are of a like mind."

Lindsay set down her spoon and made deliberate eye contact as she spoke. "Thank you for the unintentional compliment, Professor. I have grown beyond a teenage mentality, but it's nice to know I haven't visibly aged." Snape didn't hear what he wanted, but he definitely saw an answer in her eyes that pleased him very much. They had tea after Lindsay finished her ice cream, which Snape actually drank. They exchanged a little small talk, and Snape walked her back to her rooms.