Epilogue

To what do I owe my success?

I don't know. I guess I owe it to Donnie for sticking around and pushing me along for the next two months after we became homeless. For sticking around. For being mine.

We stayed in Massachusetts for a few weeks, and I never left the apartment. I was worried someone would see me. My anxiety was terrible, I'd just take pill after pill until I fell asleep. I slept most of the day and stayed up at night, for whatever reason I can't be sure.

The rumors and stories about me only got worse, and none of it was true, of course, but they were just relentless.

It wasn't until a week before Christmas that he finally dragged me to the passenger seat of the car and drove off. Donnie didn't tell me this, but my penthouse had burned down two days previously. Who did it? No one knew for sure but I assume it was some sort of protestor.

I didn't say a word to him during the entire 3,100 mile trip. I only went wherever he led me. I have to give him credit for managing everything so well because I was being a total bitch. To make things worse for him it wasn't like he was fully recovered yet anyway. Once we finally made it Oregon, he stopped in front of a house for sale.
"Okay, we need to go look inside. Are you coming?"
I shook my head and moved into the backseat to take care of Andrew.
He nodded and went by himself, coming back out about thirty minutes later and asked if I was okay with buying it.

I signed a paper, not speaking still, not caring.
A few days later, Donnie led me inside, not letting go of my hand as he showed me the entire house. I liked it, I liked that it was already furnished, but still refused to speak.

He put Andrew to bed and pulled me off the couch into the master bathroom, turning on the shower. "You haven't showered in a long time, and it's time you changed out of those clothes. Come on."
I just stood there.
"Leo... I'm right here. It's safe."

He was growing frustrated and undressed me himself, opening the shower door.
I felt awkward, I felt panicked. My mind had just been shut down for weeks now. Running on autopilot after all that had happened. It was like an aftershock.

"Get in the shower, Leonardo!! I'm tired of this!" He pushed me, looking annoyed and exhausted as he undressed and got in. "See? It's safe." I felt his hands take mine and I slowly walked in, shivering at the sudden rush of water.
Donnie touched my cheek. "You haven't been eating.. you really need to. You're getting too thin."

I blinked and looked at the wall.
Watching me carefully, he began to wash himself. I could tell he felt uncomfortable with me just standing there. Angered.
"Look at me! I feel like I'm talking a wall.. like you're dead and I'm dragging your ghost along... just say something, anything!! I know you're upset.. but I- I need you. I can't do this alone, Leo..." He gripped my shoulders, shaking them a bit. "Just knock it off!!"
And at that moment I snapped into attention, as if I had just woken up. Just now understanding everything that had happened. "I'm sorry." I covered my eyes, tears quickly springing into them as I finally grieved and processed the recent events.

He wrapped his arms around me tightly, eyes closed. "Life isn't going to be easy. Or fair. Bad things will happen. But you listen to me Leonardo... I promise you it will get better."
I buried my face in his shoulder and cried. I can't be sure if he did as well, the shower water was kind of loud.

His arms around me was such comfort, as I just let my emotions out. It wasn't fair that his life had to be ruined too by the people of New York, but he insisted that everything was fine. He liked that we moved away.
Donnie made me face him, wiping a tear from my eyes. "You going to be okay?"