Chapter Ten

I now find that mid February is the worst time of year for me. You'd think I would've been a little more cheerful and optimistic about that stupid Valentine's Day this year, but I really wasn't. February, two years ago was when my life changed, when I made my biggest mistakes. Also, it was February when.. well.. when something really bad happened to me as a teenager. But we won't go there right now.

Bottom line is, I'm never in a good mood during this month.
Of course, when you're dating someone, it kind of seems like ritual to go on some sort of romantic date on the fourteenth, but he was working and so was I. I'd finally returned to work in late January, and I found most days so busy, I wouldn't get home until after eleven at night. So much work to catch up on.

Donnie was still working in Washington, D.C. as of February 14th, but tried to come see me every weekend. I never went down to DC, although I should've, it's just that my drivers didn't want to go all the way down there, and I couldn't drive myself. I had tried, but it hurt my eyes too much.

So on the night of Valentine's Day, I was still in my office, hesitantly packing up my briefcase, thinking about going home, but I'd been so tempted to buy a certain object recently.. besides it probably wouldn't be ready right away anyway.
I hailed a taxi and had it drive me to the address Karai had written down for me earlier in the day.
I breathed in shakily and went inside. Was I really going to do this?
Was I even ready for such a commitment?
Mentally no, but I was so drawn to the idea of marrying him.
I felt so happy with him. He loved me, he wanted to live with me again.
But if he did, I wouldn't want us just dating. I wanted something more permanent.

My ideal wedding was private, just us, nobody knowing about the ceremony, and slipping away to some foreign island for a few weeks. Nobody would have to scream about it in this news, or say how terrible of a mayor I am for marrying someone who isn't female.

"Sir, can I help you?" The worker stood behind the desk, trying to look cheerful. She hated her job I could tell.
"Um.. yeah.. I'm uh- looking at engagement rings. Not for myself- but.. for a friend of mine."
She looked me up and down. "That shouldn't be a problem, and I can tell you can pay for it. Right this way.."
I followed her, feeling awfully nervous.
"So, who's your friend marrying?"
"His um.. longtime partner shall we say.." I bluffed a bit. If she knew who I was and that I was buying the rings for myself, she'd tell someone, who'd tell another, who'd get it in the news somehow and Donnie would find out before I even had a chance to ask him.

I looked through the glass. It had to be perfect. Nothing less.
So it took awhile for me to pick one, one of the most expensive ones of course, because that's just how I am with just about everything.

Finally, I left the store with two brand new rings in my pocket, not planning on revealing them at least until March.

I got back in the taxi which headed for my penthouse, and once I was sure the driver wasn't paying attention, I carefully took one of the rings out and looked at it before sliding it on. It felt strange, but it was a very nice ring and hopefully someday I'd wear it every day.
My phone started buzzing, so I quickly put the ring away and answered. "Hello.. it's really late whoever you are."
"Didn't think our phone calls had a curfew." Donnie said, obviously very tired.
"Long day at the office?"
He sighed. "Yeah. They announced they'd be transferring some employees to big cities like New York or Chicago or even places in Texas. If I'm one of them there's a small chance I can move to New York. But I could end up being sent out west. And then I'm really screwed."

"So.. what are you going to do?" I asked quietly.
"I don't know, just pray everything works out for us. Not like you can switch jobs, so this is really up to me at this point. Hey- did you have a good day today?"
"As much as a Wednesday can be good.. maybe I'll come down and see you this weekend."
"As amazing as that sounds I have a super busy schedule until the end of the month. I'm sorry.."
I sighed quietly. "That's fine. I'll see you the first weekend of March in that case."
"Okay, and we'll do something together- go out somewhere or something. I'm sorry I have to stay away like this but it's all this stupid job."
"I'll make reservations and everything. Don't worry about it, your career comes first."
"Thank you so much for understanding.." He said a bit sweetly. "Listen- I have to go. I'm exhausted."
I nodded, even though he couldn't see that. "Me too."
"Well um.. Happy Valentine's Day." He said very quietly before hanging up.
He must've been that tired I guess.. but so was I.
~~
The rest of February was boring for me. Lots of boring things to do. Stupid mayor things.
But when I'd get home every night, I had to see my psychologist, we'd talk for awhile. I mentioned to her that I had a very bad obsession.
She said I should get rid of it.
But I didn't. I moved most of it into a small storage closet only I knew about.
I locked that door and kept the key under the pants in my bottom drawer. And so far it was working.
Early March came along and I had just the spot for my planned proposal.
It was going to go smoothly, all I had to do was pop the question and hopefully he'd say yes.
Only problem was I had no idea how to do it properly, and the only one I could think of asking was Raph.
So, two days before the date, Raph was over for dinner, and he kept staring at me.
"What..." I finished my drink.
"You're up to something, aren't you Leonardo?" He smirked.
"I don't know what you're talking about."
"I was snooping around your room and I found something very interesting earlier.." He grinned now, knowing I was filled with anxiety.
"You're not supposed to go in my room! Give me the rings back now!"
He gasped. "Rings? I didn't actually go in your room, I was hoping you'd just tell me. Why do you have rings? Leo....."
Great. Just great. I didn't bother responding to him, so I just stood up and went out onto the balcony. He followed and put a hand on my shoulder. "Are you going to propose?"
I nodded slowly, looking out at the city.
He smiled and gave me a loose hug. "I'm happy for you, bro, and I hope he says yes. Seems like you've changed a lot. Become a very good man."
"I'm not all that good to be honest, but he knows that, so I guess it'll work out."
"Do you love him?" He sat down and looked at me.
"Yes. I've never loved anyone like this before."