Chapter Eight

The reception was fun for those who could move around easily and didn't get headaches easily. The second I stepped into the hall, I got a headache. There wasn't even music yet. It was just all the voices that made my head hurt. By the time the dinner was over, it was about 4:30 and the sun was getting lower in the sky. My migraine was getting worse as more and more of Mikey's relatives and my own decided to meet me, converse, ask about my life, but with every minute that passed I just felt worse.

I stared out the window until the sun set, then slowly and shakily picked up my crutches and hopped outside, feeling very nauseous, and sat in a swing around back.
I breathed in the chilly air, and looked up at the moon. Looked like that would be the only company I'd have that night.

"Hey are you okay?" Donnie had been standing in front of me, and I hadn't even noticed.
"I have a headache, I needed some air.." I said quietly, swinging back and forth slowly.
"That's okay.. I can take you home if you want.." He said softly, taking the swing beside me.
"I'll be fine. I need to get used to this."
"You have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning. I'll take you before I have to go back down to Washington.."
"You won't be here for New Years?" I couldn't hide a small pout.
"No, I have to work, and I figure since Raph and Mikey won't be here anyway, I wouldn't have anywhere to go. You shouldn't be out, it'll be too crowded."
"I'll probably stay home.." I sighed, standing and then sitting again on a wooden park bench. 
"Aren't you cold?" He sat beside me, his eyes concerned for my health.
"I'm fine, Donatello. Go back inside and celebrate with your brother."
He shook his head. "I'm not leaving you out here alone."

I leaned my head back. "I used to enjoy things like this, before the accident. I enjoyed being social. Now.. everything's different. I don't like how happy everyone is. Makes me wish I made some better choices. If I had.. m-maybe it would've been us up on that altar today.."
"It's never too late to turn everything around, you know.." He whispered, looking at me. "You don't have to live your life like this. You have the opportunity to do whatever you want."

"I don't know what I want.. I'm not the settling down type I don't think, and at the same time I am. I want what Raph and Mikey have, but I'm not ready.. I'm not ready to let go of my past. You know what I mean?" I said, fumbling with my words.
His eyes changed from curious to soft as he nodded, sitting in my lap. "I have to ask you something."
"What?" I timidly wrapped my arms around his waist.
"You say you don't want to give up your past. What's so important about what happened before today that you have to let it ruin your life?"
"It's just difficult.." I mumbled. He wouldn't understand why it would be so hard for me to just drop everything that's ever happened to me.
"The way I see it is this.." He adjusted my collar. "You drop all the bad stuff from the past. And I mean everything. And you focus on the future you could have.. maybe you'll settle down with someone, have a couple kids, maybe you won't. But one things for sure, I will always be there for you."
"Always, even if I pull away?"
"Why do you always doubt me, mister.." He giggled and kissed my cheek softly.
"I don't know. You're good to me."
"I'm an angel to you, Leonardo. And it's not because I pity your situation. It's just that I have a soft spot for you."
"Mm.." I nuzzled into his neck, trying to keep warm. His hands softly slid gloves onto mine. "These might help.. you stay warm." He said a bit awkwardly, pulling back from me.
"I guess, but my face is still frozen." My teeth chattered. I could tell another snow storm was coming.
"Let me drive you home.. can't stay out here like this all night." His eyes avoided mine.
"I'm fine... your cheeks are all red too, you must be just as cold as me." I made him look at me.
"I'm not cold, I'm just.. blushing."
"Why?" I grinned.
"The song that's playing inside.. while we were dating.. I always thought of you when I heard it."
"This song?" I looked at him, a bit shocked. I loved the song.. I couldn't believe...
"Yes, is that a bad thing?" He bit his lip.
My eyes smiled but my face stayed serious as I tried not to frighten him too badly. "You're just amazing, know that?"
He laughed a bit nervously and we kissed softly. His was pure warmth.
"Donnie, I-" I was cut off by another gentle kiss.
"You what?" He didn't pull back from me. My stomach must've been attacked by butterflies. Here it was. Here was what I'd wanted to say for such a long time. And I could finally say it.
I moved my hand to the back of his neck and kissed him again, closing my eyes. "I love you." I whispered in his ear.
His body trembled a little. "I love you too."
~~
I looked out my office window, at the cloudy skies, trying to fight back the tears, wondering if I should jump out the window.
He'd just ran out of my office, after basically telling me I was a monster for hurting him.
And he was right. I didn't mean to hurt him, it'd been an accident.
But there wasn't a way to fix it at this point. He'd wanted to know how it felt. I showed him. I scared him off.
Sirens blared outside, right in front of the building, snapping me out of my thoughts.
I looked down and saw a man unconscious in the road, he'd just been hit by a car.
I would've stayed put if it hadn't been for the fact I saw Mikey dart out to help the person, and it was at that moment I knew that Donnie was the one who'd been injured.