Chapter Twelve(remodeled)

Don't you understand that no one will ever love you
No one will ever care for you?
I could kill you right now. I could use this wall of weapons against you. I could say you were trying to sexually assault me, and I was defending myself. They won't care that you're only seventeen years old. They'll see you as a rapist, and they'll never know the true story. No one will ever know what I did to you. And if they do, well.. you'd take the rest of the story to your grave.

I jumped, sitting up in bed. Just a dream. Not real. My palms were sweaty, and my heart pounded. I'd forgotten to take my medicine. That's all.
I breathed in and out, trying to calm my nerves, and glad I hadn't woken Donnie up. It was just after five in the morning and I knew I wouldn't be getting any more sleep.
I carefully got up, slipping a robe on, and went into the living room. The sun had yet to come into the sky, but it was close.
How many more times would I have to sit in my living room at five am, calming my anxiety, before I could just lay in bed, sleep in, wake up to the birds chirping. Not needing to move.

That sounded like heaven to me. Would I ever reach it?
Probably not.
Maybe once I decided to retire, (which I could at any time and live comfortably for the rest of my life) I'd take Donnie and move to a small northeastern town and live the remainder of my life in peace and quiet. No one knowing my name. Not being watched. Just living like anyone else.

I'd give anything to have that life someday.
~~
Later on in the morning it was time to head over to my aunt's estate in upper New York. As long as I can remember, she's lived there. On holidays I was always forced to play out in her large lawn with my cousins, but they always left me out. So I would slip into the library and hide under the desk, reading whatever book I could find, so I wouldn't have to see anyone.
Of course, once I turned 18 I didn't have a choice and had to start talking to these people. And once my father passed I couldn't escape.

But my aunt, as strange as she was, always treated my brother and I very kindly. She did know about my past though, and didn't treat me any differently, so I love her for that.

"You ready to go?" Donnie searched for the car keys, poking me with his other hand. "We're gonna be late."
I sat up. Must've fallen asleep. "I'm sorry, I didn't know what time it was.."

"Well it's after nine now. You don't usually sleep in." He retrieved the keys. "I'll be waiting downstairs."
I tried to kiss him but he pulled back and went downstairs.
Oh well.

I took a few pills and went down the elevator.
~~
Almost two hours later, I finally pulled up at my aunt's estate. The lawn perfectly mowed, and the first buds were growing on the plants and trees around her house.
Donnie was fast asleep in the passenger seat, and I really didn't want to wake him. But I couldn't go in alone, so..
"Hey.. we're here.." I gently shook him. He wouldn't budge, but I could tell he was waking up.
"Paging Donatello.. helloooo..." I sat down on the seat and kissed his cheek. Still nothing.
"You know I don't like going in there alone. Please wake up."
His eyes remained shut. Teasing me.

"Fine." I took his hand, examining it before slipping the ring off and walking towards the house.
"Give that back!" He jumped out of his seat and followed, trying to take it from me.
"Give back what?" I played dumb. "I don't know what you're talking about."
"Come on.. I don't want you losing it."
"Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about, I don't have anything.."

He stood in front of me. "The ring. Hand it over." Desperately trying to make an intimidating face but failing miserably. He looked like a sad puppy.
"It's in my pocket.." I stopped walking. "So you'll just have to take it."
He looked at me skeptically. "You're not going to make this easy, are you?" And upon reaching into my pocket, he found nothing. "You were joking, right? It's not in here.."
I paled a little. "That's where I put it!"
"Stop messing with me, it's not in there!" He pouted a bit. "Where is it really?"