Chapter Fourteen

He tugged me down a street in Boston, end of August, insisting that I hurry up. "Come on! Come ooooooon you have to see this."
"Can't it wait until I've woken up fully?" I mumbled, rubbing my eyes.
"No time! So.. I'm going for a walk this morning, by the water, and I see this." He stopped in front of a pet store that had a litter of golden retriever puppies in the front window. His eyes were lit up, and he gave me a look, as if to say, "Can we get one?"
"Oh.. puppies. You want a dog? I don't know.. I don't like dogs too much- especially not puppies." I looked at him.
"Not the puppies, dummy. Just- come inside and look.." He took my hand and dragged me inside and down a hallway. "I want this one." Donnie stood in front of an adult black lab's cage. "Her name's Kira and she's three, spayed, house trained- everything-"
"Oh no.. no no no a dog in my penthouse? Wouldn't that be a bit.. disastrous?"
"You wouldn't even notice she's there.. please? Please..? I mean just look at how cute she is. How can you say no?"
"Because that's a big furry dog. Probably will smell after awhile too."
"So in other words you're describing yourself when you haven't bathed in awhile?"
I blushed. "Stop. Donnie.. is the real reason you want this pet is because I won't agree to have a child with you?"
His eyes looked slightly pained as he shrugged. "One of them, there are more, though."
I sighed and looked at the dog. "Fine. You may. But don't push it.. we'll come get it tomorrow morning. In the mean time, let's go do something.."
"Yeah, if you hadn't slept in until 3:30 we could've gone and saw the early showing of the movie, but no.. You insist on sleeping."
"I got sleepy. And I need it, before that long drive back to New York tomorrow.."
"I like Boston. I wish we could move here." He said wistfully.
"No, I have to stay in New York until my term is over. And that could be years.. after that maybe I'll run for senate..."
"Why are you so power hungry? Why not get a normal job?"
"Because I exercise control in all things." I responded. "Now come on, we can go for an early dinner. It's too hot out for my liking."
"Okay.. sure. But wait! There was one more thing I wanted to show you." He took my arm and led me back outside and across the street. "What is this?" I asked.
"It's an outdoor cafe. Isn't it cute? We can eat here, it'll take less time and it's cheaper."
I smiled a bit. "Okay, looks like you've been planning into this."
"Only a little.. I just want to spend time with you. Are you alright?"
I'd been staring into the distance, not really paying attention to what he was saying. I was having a craving, a craving of something I swore to give up.
"Leo.. are you ignoring me?"
"I need to go do something really quickly okay? A phone call." I stood up, pushing my chair in.
"Okay, I'll go with you-"
"No. I want to go by myself.. thanks.." I hurried off and turned down an alley, breathing out.
Donnie watched me go. "Hm.. that's weird.." He sipped on his drink, and watched a father walk by with his three year old son, waiting for the cars to stop passing. The child looked over at Donnie, smiled and waved.
He smiled a bit at the child, and waved back, before looking away. "Don't start this again, please.. just don't look at the kid.." He told himself. It was growing harder and harder for him to hide his want for a child. Maybe it was still soon, he didn't know. But it wasn't a sin to want a baby, was it? Well, in his mind it was, because he knew that I strongly protested the idea of children. We would have to adopt one, and I wasn't about to step into an Annie scenario. Real life wasn't like that.

He sniffled and wiped his eyes quickly. This was fine. He was okay with just having me around. He just was afraid of something.. something he needed to talk to me about.
He wasn't sure how to tell me, so he didn't.
~~
Meanwhile, I'd run across a hardware store. I wasn't supposed to act out on my craving, but I couldn't help it this time and bought some rope. I hoped he would be okay with it, although we hadn't had any sex in the way of BDSM in a year in a half. It would be a lie if I said I didn't miss it.

I did miss it. I "gave it up" for him, but I still thought about it a lot. And maybe just once more I could ease him into it.
I would have to get him back to the hotel first.