Chapter Eighteen

I spent most of the evening talking with the debaters, discussing the recent outburst of crime in the state. We talked about how to stop it, but we mostly argued. That's alright, my father taught me to be a good and reasonable debater.

Once the dinner began, I decided to go find Donnie. I hadn't seen him in awhile but eventually found him in the library, playing chess with himself.
"What are you doing in here?" I asked.
He looked up. "Oh, I have a headache. Couldn't stay in there much longer without getting sick." "Do you want to go home now?" I stood beside him. I didn't want to go home yet.
"N-not yet.. we.. I.. have to talk to you about something.. I have to." He stood up.
"Okay.. just not in here. Let's go outside.. the gazebo is nice and we can probably hear each other better out there. Sound good?"
He nodded and took my hand. We went outside to a small gazebo.
"So what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, sitting on the railing.
"Leo.. something terrible has happened." He frowned, crossing his arms.

"What?"
"I told my boss that I have cancer, and you know what she said?"
"No, I don't. Should I guess or are you going to tell me?"

He shrugged. "She said, 'Oh that's just your punishment from God because you're homosexual. Somebody else will take your desk.'" His eyes didn't move from the ground.
"Are.. you serious? She actually said that?" I mean I've dealt with some low lives before but this woman...
"Don't get all pissed about it. There's nothing I can do. And now I don't have a job anymore. The end." Donnie's eyes were watering up and I could tell- anyone could tell- that he had really enjoyed his job and this hurt a lot. But he was being mature about it, unlike me. I would've lashed out at that boss, gave her a piece of my mind. But he just nodded politely, as if he understood and agreed with this woman.

"You do know that what she said isn't true, right?" I asked, trying to find something comforting to say and failing already.
He sat beside me. "Of course I know that." His breathing a bit shaky. "I just want to leave this city."
I sighed. "Me too." But we both knew very well that we were both stuck there for a long time. There was going to be no escape.

"Promise me, Leo.. that when your term is over we move out of the city? I don't care where we go. Just anywhere but New York City. I'm tired of the odd looks people give me."
"If we ever move, I promise it'll be to a place where people accept you- accept us. You'll be able to sleep peacefully. But I just can't imagine moving out of the city for another two years. That's unless I get reelected..."

He held onto me, eyes squeezed shut. "I'm so weak.."
"No you're not.." I made him face me. "You're alright. And once treatment starts you'll be healthy again."
"Mmhm..." He bit his lip, not even hiding the fact that he was crying anymore.

"Hey, don't cry.." I brushed a tear away, pecking a kiss on his cheek.

"I never thought it was going to be this hard to just be me.. everyone hates me in this world except for you and Mikey and Raph.. nobody would even care if I-"

I cut him off, brushing a soft kiss over his lips in comfort. He was basically having a meltdown. He finds out he has cancer, he loses his job all while being mocked for his sexuality, and he was constantly worrying about me not accepting him adopting a child. I was doing the best I could to comfort him, holding him close to me, trying to give him what I knew he needed- a shoulder to cry on.

I should've noticed that we weren't exactly alone, there were people in the general area, but none close enough to hear the things I said to him. Well, except for one person.