Chapter Three

I don't know why, but every time I sit down at a piano, I always start by playing the same song. It has always been this way, even from before I started dating Donnie, but he got the song stuck in my head. Some old Elvis one, Can't Help Falling in Love I think it was. My father would sing it sometimes when he was trying to get Raph asleep as a toddler. After I started playing piano, I made sure to request that my teacher show me how to play it. That was twenty years ago, and to this day, it is still my favorite to play.

The next morning, September 2nd that is, I was sitting in my penthouse, in the music room and waiting for Donnie's call to tell me he had arrived in New York. My nervous hands began playing the song, just to calm me down.

How would that day go? Would it end in a nasty fight.. would his fiancé show up after all?
Easy there, Leo.. you'll be fine. Calm and cool like you always are...

The doorbell rang and I jumped, tipping the piano bench backwards and causing me to fall backwards. "Ouch.." I muttered, picking up the bench, and hurrying out of the music hall and to the front hall, checking my reflection. I looked alright. A suit as always, and- his gift! I'd nearly forgotten! I couldn't forget that. But it wasn't there yet. It was going to be delivered later on that day.

"Good morning, Mr. Hamato," the doorman at the elevator said.
"Morning, Ed." I said a bit cheerfully, going to the door. He was waiting for me.
"Hey.." I said kind of shyly.
"Hi.. it's so weird being back here." He looked around, as if he was being hit with flashbacks.
"So.. do you want to go upstairs for a minute or go to breakfast first?" I asked.
"Um.. breakfast first is fine.." He looked away. I knew something was wrong but I couldn't say it.
"Happy birthday by the way. You're twenty-five now?"
He nodded. "I feel really old."
"Well you're not as old as me. That's for sure."
He smiled a little and went to my car. "So where are you taking me?"
"A small restaurant uptown. Raph and Mikey are going to meet us for dinner at my penthouse later, if that's okay with you."
"I'd like that, Leo. You don't have to worry." He got in the passenger seat of my old car and silenced his phone.
I started the car and drove off. "So.. what was your favorite birthday from when you were a kid?" I asked.
He looked out the window at the busy streets and smiled brightly. "My ninth birthday. My dad took me to the fire station where he worked and I helped him wash the fire truck. Then he took me to a museum downtown and to my favorite little restaurant somewhere in the city. Can't remember what it was called, but.. the reason why that day was so special for me was because my dad was always working, and it meant a lot that he took a day for me."
He paused. "He died just over a week later, so that was the last whole day I got to spend with him."
"Your father was a brave man. He went right into that burning building, without hesitation." I looked at him and touched his shoulder. "He died a hero and will always be remembered as one. You should be proud of him."
"I am proud of him. It's been sixteen years but I can still remember what he looked like so clearly, how calm his voice was.. he was a good leader. He would've liked you. Well- most of you, anyway."
I shrugged. "No one likes all of me." I stopped at the restaurant and got out of the car. Donnie froze the second he opened the car door.
"No way.. no way.."
"What is something wrong?" I panicked.
"Why did you choose this restaurant, Leo.." He whispered, curious.
"Because my dad took me here when I was a kid once or twice, and I figured.. well I just thought you'd like it here.. what is it?"
He blinked and looked at me. "This is the restaurant my father took me to on my ninth birthday."
I gasped. "I had no idea, honestly.."
He smiled softly. "I think that's amazing."

We went inside and sat down, him looking around, trying to remember. "Were you and your father close, Leo?"
I skimmed the menu. "Yes we were pretty close up until I hit puberty and wanted to be alone.. for obvious reasons. Him and Raph were never close. But then again Raph was never close with anyone, not even me."
"Well he seems to be very close with Mikey.." Donnie said, sipping on his drink.
"They're in love, obviously. I'm glad they're so happy. And.. I'm glad you and Christopher are happy together and engaged to be married. That must be great." I added.
He remained quiet.
"How old is he, anyway?"
"Thirty-two." He answered emotionless. I decided not to mention Christopher again for awhile.