[17]

No one expects the unexpected even though they're told to because sometimes the best thing in life is to live in the moment and spend time with your family or friends instead of waiting for something bad to come around. Never did I think I would be squished into a sandwich on my bed with my best friend, Ryley, and my sister, Izzi. They were both cuddled into my shoulder, their hair tickling my neck while their heads were heavy on my chest, but I didn't want to move and wake them up so I dealt with being uncomfortable.

Last night was somewhat of a blur which happens a lot to me whenever I have a good evening. Everyone did their own things when coming home after bowling, but Izzi and Tabs helped Ryley do mud masks before Reo and Cole stole her away to play Mario Kart. She struggled a bit on Rainbow Road and Mooview Highway--which were Jc's favorite since he knew he was always able to beat everyone--but she came in first or second place in most of the other races which gained her about 10-15 points each time, gradually gaining her the winning points she needs.

The Lawley family is a very competitive bunch, so you could imagine how devastated the boys must've been to have lost to Ryley, especially since they never lose to a girl when they play against their girlfriends or sisters.

Both the girls stirred beside me, but Izzi fell back into her sleepy state while Ryley began petting my hair and mumbling incoherent words that didn't quite make sense, "Mhm, good morning babe," she cooed, poking my nose and running her finger along my lips before I grabbed her hand, linking our fingers together.

"Morning, how'd you sleep?"

She stretched her arms out above her head, holding in a groan as she pinched her eyes closed, "Well, I guess. I don't know, I always seem to sleep better when I'm cuddling with someone or when someone is beside me. I think it helps with my insomnia and nightmares, it's weird."

I nodded my head, unraveling my right arm from my sister's waist and wrapping Ryley up in a nice, warm hug. I could feel her eyelashes fluttering against my bare chest, her breath brushing against my skin which sent chills down my spine and caused goosebumps to form on my arms.

"I really love you Kian, you've done so much for me and you've given me a roof over my head, food on my plate and you've done more for me than my mom could've ever done," she sighed content lay before continuing, "But, I think I want to go back home again. Go back to my home, maybe grab a few things from my room since I didn't really grab much stuff when I moved in here."

I started to oblige, but she kept insisting, "Please Kian, I think it'd be good for me. I could get some closure--"

When I continued to deny, she shrugged and scoffed at the same time, "Kian, I appreciate everything you have done for me, don't think I don't because I really do, but you can't protect me forever. One of these days, I might move out or we won't be friends anymore and I'll have to find my own place, I need to do this for myself."

Reluctantly, I nodded and told her that we should go downstairs to hang with the family before going to her house. I was a bit nervous when it came to going back there, because what if she never wanted to come back? Ryley would want to live on her own and she'd leave me, forget about me, but also, then she could get hurt if her she saw something triggering when we went over. Two way streets are never good when there's a bad choice that you can't identify until it's too late.

"No, I owned you guys!" Ryley shouted from the living room, waving her Wii controller in Cole's face since he was saying that he had won against her last night.

"Dude, just face the fact that you lost against a girl," I hollered from the kitchen, darting my eyes to Ryley quick enough to see her sticking her tongue out at Cole, him doing the same back while Reo tried breaking up their playful argument.