[08]

Sleep isn't the most important thing in the world, or at least that is what I have to keep reminding myself. Ryley had just fallen asleep only a few moments ago, leaving me to think about the turn of events that had happened today. The evening after we drove home from the hospital wasn't bad at all, expect for the fact that my best friend kept forgetting things the second after I'd tell her, or she forgot Ricky and I's name at one point, but I can't blame her. Comas can do quite the brain damage. Although, it can get a bit irritating when I have to constantly remind her of things, but she's my best friend and I'd do anything for her. Yet, I couldn't help but wonder what spooked her so bad in the little wonderland inside her head that made her jolt awake in fright continuously since we have gone to bed.

"Why you still awake, Kian?"

I cocked my head to the side, slightly confused as to how I didn't hear her wake up or feel her stirring in her dreams. She looked so peaceful the last time I looked at her, it reminded me of the first time I ever saw her fall asleep, not creepily or anything, completely platonic and I've gotten better at trying to calm her down, I still have some learning to do, though.

"Well, you know when your eyes are tired, but your brain won't shut off? You don't have some switch or off button for your thoughts and they run through your mind like they're trying to get the first place medal in a marathon."

"I know what you mean. I would suggest taking some melatonin, but I don't think that's a good idea, because they'd interfere with your depression medication and I don't really want you to go to get up anyway, I'm actually really comfy and you're my pillow."

"Well, you really need to get to sleep. You're supposed to have at least ten hours of full rest, I think. Could be wrong, but I don't think I am because I listened very carefully when the doctor was giving me advice on how to take care of you."

She sighed meticulously, her eyes glimmering from the moonlight leaking in from the draped curtains as they flickered around the room, landing on every object she could possibly take in; the framed photos on my desk, the sprawled out papers vigorously covering every square inch of the surface, the okapi stuffed animal propped up against the desktop computer.

"What's your family like?" She asked abruptly.

Taken aback by the question, I paused to think of how to explain all my siblings and parents, but I came up short. When it comes to the Lawley's, they're very self explanatory. If you know one person from our big bunch, you practically know them all.

I hummed, "Well... They're very interesting to hang around. My siblings are the best, although we fight quite a lot, but it's not the bad. My sisters-when I go home for special occasions-will immediately take my suitcase and pull me to the bathroom to put a mud mask on my face. They're really unique actually, you'd get along perfectly with them. My brothers, they're a bit obsessive and competitive, like when we have game night and play Mario Kart. They're psychotic, swears are thrown everywhere, sometimes controllers are thrown too. Game nights are fun though, you'd love it. I think you'd totally kick their asses," I paused momentarily to remember the time my brothers received a lecture from mom when they smashed the television with their Wii remote controller.

"Mother and father, they're another story. They are nothing like their children, so I don't know where we get our characteristics from. All my life, they've been calm and pretty lenient, my mom was my best friend. I always was able to trust her, even if I kept secrets from her. She'd always know how I was feeling, and she still does. Both of them have been supportive about the career I've chosen, and they were quick to save me from spiraling down into depression when I was a sophomore. School wasn't the best for me. My anxiety was becoming a bigger problem than I could handle myself, so I finally went to my mom about it and we got me on medications to ease my nerves and stop the panic attacks. Overall, my family is the most caring, considerate people I've ever met and they definitely know how to parent, they're the best."