Chapter Twenty Three

Hey guys! Wow it has been a long time! I've missed seeing all of your comments and feedback! And I have definitely missed writing! I'm here to actually finish this story for good! It may take about a month but I'm ready and I hope you are all too! Enjoy! Love, Sami

September 22, 2015

Harry's POV:

Liam had been staying in our house for a couple weeks now. Although he was a vampire and he was healing rather quickly it was still taking quite some time for him to get back to normal. Whatever that Simon guy did to him really messed him up and by the looks of it I was assuming Simon could destroy anyone that came near him. I couldn't lie; I was a bit skeptical about having to go up against this guy. If he was as powerful as everyone was making him out to be then it would be one hell of a fight. I had never really seen any of the guys at their full strength before other than Zayn but I realized that they must be extremely strong for Liam to ask for their help. He hated Zayn with a passion and I could only assume that he hated me for making it through my turning process.

Louis and Zayn had kind of been on edge around each other for the a while considering Louis was waiting on Liam hand and foot. I knew why Zayn was upset over this but at the same time I completely understood why Louis felt the need to care for him. Just because he wasn't his best friend anymore didn't mean that he didn't still care about him. But it hurt me to see Zayn and Louis' relationship in such a fragile state. Louis had been talking to me about the battle plan last night and Zayn coldly told him that I had no part in this and that I wasn't going to be anywhere near this war. Of course I objected and told him that I could hold my own now. I wasn't as weak as I was before and all of my training had really paid off. I knew that I could be of big use to them with my new found strength and I wouldn't let my family go to this fight without me even if Zayn was worried about it. 

Thankfully Niall had convinced Zayn to go out hunting with him tonight so now it was just Liam, Louis and me in the house for a while. I loved being around my boyfriend but he clearly needed to get out for a few hours to calm down. I had never been in such a tense place for such a long period of time and I think it was starting to take a toll on everyone involved.

I was sitting at the dining room table practicing my manipulation of fire since I was still a bit rusty with that element.It was the one I had practiced the least and I was certain it could come in handy. I had a candle lit in front of me and as I closed my eyes I could feel the heat forming around my hands. 

"Fuck.", I swore as I got burnt. Whenever I forgot to focus the fire would always rear it's ugly head and make me mess up. I had done this multiple times but fire seemed to be the hardest for me to work with.

I heard the chair across from me slide across the floor and someone sat down in it. "You should be more careful with that." I opened my eyes surprised to see that Liam's aura was the one to join me. I remained silent not really knowing what to say so he spoke up again, "I know you don't trust me. I don't blame you really, but I wasn't always so angry you know." He paused for a moment and sighed, "I know what I did to you was fucked. I know that I should have just let it be but..." This moment was awkward but I could feel the regret he felt. He sighed, "When Zayn was turned he was quite the evil little guy, you know. He would terrorize the whole coven and I suppose it wasn't really his fault but I just didn't want him to make a bad name for us. He needed to be controlled or killed. That's just the way that things were at the time. But Louis had to come between business and what he believed to be the right thing. He wouldn't let me get rid of Zayn and he insisted that he could turn him around. He was my best friend so I believed him of course. He kept to his word for a while. Zayn got much better after he had been under Louis' watch for a few years but then unexpectedly Zayn began to kill innocents while Louis was away. Over one hundred people died. I didn't know what to do about it so I kept him locked up until Louis got back from a trip he had to go on. When Louis returned he was furious with me. He told me I had no right and that I had to let Zayn go or he was leaving the coven. We fought and fought and fought but in the end he really did leave with Zayn. I was heart broken. Louis was my best friend and I was lost without him. I got so mad at Zayn for taking away the person who had stood by me through everything and I guess that's where my hatred for him began. I know it sounds petty but to this day I have never found anyone as special to me as Louis was. I just didn't understand how my best fucking friend could leave me for a charity case."

I wasn't sure if Liam really meant to tell me all of that or if he was just reminiscing but either way it was upsetting. I could practically hear the tears running down his face. I put myself in his position and I couldn't imagine losing Zayn because someone else had swooped in and stole him from me. 

"Anyway-", Liam continued. "I know there is no way I could possibly make up for the things I have put you through but I can certainly try. You seem to be having many issues with your fire manipulation. I noticed you practicing outside last night. I could help you out with it if you wanted me to."

I didn't know how to respond but I supposed it couldn't hurt anything to have him help me. I was still weary of him being close to me because who knows if this whole thing was a ploy to kill me but for some reason I trusted his words. I nodded and watched his aura get up and move around to my side of the table.

"Alright. So let's see what I can do for you."

A few hours passed and Liam actually helped me a lot with my powers. He gave me a greater understanding of them and it wasn't just the fire element that he helped me with. I now knew how to use less energy when manipulating any of the elements which was a great feat for me. Instead of getting tired after thirty seconds of manipulation I could now use it for five times as long and not be completely useless. 

I huffed and fell onto the kitchen floor in exhaustion. The night had really taken a lot out of me and I was sure it had done a number on Liam as well. He sat next to me and chuckled, "Wow."

"What?"

"You're good. Like really really good. It took me ages to get that good. But then again you do have your vial."

"My vial?" Well now I was confused.

"Yes.", he replied. "The vial of blood around your neck makes you very powerful. Not only are you already gifted you have the vial to increase your powers. It helps you develop faster and makes you much stronger than you should be as a newborn. It's a plus side to having a soul mate. You two can really help each other and utilize each other in battle."

I reached up and played with the tiny glass bottle hanging around my neck. I had no idea it did all of that. 

Liam laughed, "In fact I tried numerous ways to get that thing off of you in New York and it wouldn't budge. It must have taken a liking to you."

I nodded but didn't say anything. The two of us sat there in silence for a little while until something popped into my head, "Why was Louis so important to you?"

"I already told you. He was my best friend."

I scratched the back of my neck, "Yea, I know, but you really really cared about him. Like a lot."

Liam sighed, "Louis and I..." His voice trailed off and then he continued, "We had something special. When we were human we were together. We loved each other. And then when I was turned it made things complicated. He found out about what I was and demanded that I turn him as well so we could be together for eternity. I was very hesitant  because I knew how hard it would be for him but after much begging I gave in. I never could say no to him. After he was turned he got very sick and it took a long time for him to get better. I never forgave myself for letting him get like that when I knew I never should have turned him in the first place. I still don't forgive myself for what I put him through."

"But if you were together as humans then why aren't you together now?", I asked.

"Well once I got control of the coven things changed. He was insistent that I was too engaged in my work and that I needed to ease up on things. We fought a lot about me being leader and soon it just destroyed our relationship. We were still very close though. We just couldn't be an item anymore. It was better for both of us to just be friends."

"Oh." I didn't know what else to say. What could I possibly say to him? Nothing. Even if I did know what to say it suddenly occurred to me that Liam wasn't my friend. He tried to ruin Zayn's life and kill me. I couldn't help but to feel bad for him though.

I really just hoped that what happened to him and Louis wouldn't happen to me and Zayn.