Chapter 6 - This is my fate?!?! A crazy stepmother! A voice in my head! Just sign me up as crazy!!

PLEASE VOTE!!!

************************************************************

This is my fate?!?! A crazy stepmother . . . A voice talking in my head . . . Just give me the list, and sign me up as crazy now!!

Recap . . .

"What if I told you I had a really good explanation?? Would you stay and talk to me then?"

She looked surprised. Like she hadn't expected me to say that. She stared at me wordlessly for a few seconds, before nodding slightly, and sitting down on the floor where she was.

"I'm listening . . ." she said, looking everywhere but at me.

I looked down at her for a while, before copying her movement and sitting on the floor a few feet in front of her.

I watched her face until she looked at me, and met my gaze. She looked at me expectantly, waiting for my explanation.

I sighed. This was going to take a while.

"You might want to get comfy. It's a long story . . ."

Chapter 6

Lexies POV

I stared at him, waiting for him to continue. I watched him sigh . . . the sigh he had always used when he was reluctant to talk. I wondered what he was going to say, that made him so reluctant to start. We could always tell each other anything . . . and it had always been effortless. I guess six years had changed things.

He was staring at the floor between us, not looking at me, his golden hair flopping into his eyes. It had always done that, even all those years ago. He was just the same really . . . just taller . . . and grimmer. He looked as if he held the weight of the world on his shoulders . . . like he had seen things no one should have had to see. It made him look older.

I stared at him, waiting.

After a few minutes, I became impatient.

"Go on." I encouraged.

He smiled slightly to himself, as if he found something funny. The smile brightened up his face, and he looked younger again . . . but the grimness never completely left his face. He sighed again.

"Understand that this going to be difficult for me to say." He said. Looking up through his hair, "You probably won't believe it, but you want to hear it . . . Just don't walk out before you hear it to the end . . . Ok?"

I nodded silently in response. And he looked . . . relieved? He let his eyes drop to the floor again.

- What do you think he's going to say??

- I don't know . . . but whatever it is . . . it's not good!

- What can be so bad that he is so hesitant to tell me??

- I dunno . . .

He suddenly looked up, and met my staring eyes. I stared into his ocean pools, and noticed him looking at me with deep concentration. He looked at me as if he were looking for something . . .

Eventually he nodded, and let his gaze wander around the room. I wondered what he had seen in my eyes . . . and if he had found what he was looking for.

"I don't know where to start . . ." he exclaimed, exasperated.

I smiled, finding it funny for some unknown reason.

- I thought you were mad at him?

- I am . . .

- Then why are you laughing away in the back of your mind?