Another Time

I barreled toward Robin as he exited his end of the arena. I tackled him to the ground and shook him vigorously by the collar of his shirt.

"What in the hell of it all is wrong with you?" I bellowed at him "I made a damn fool of myself out there so you can be champion, and you make it worse by losing!"

"What do you want me to say, huh Brian?" he yelled back, pushing me off, "I'm sorry for losing against you? I'll be damned before I let you throw a fight for me, Brian. What the hell was going through your head?"

"I was trying to make up for--"

"For what? For what happened on Cinnabar? You think throwing a tournament for me is the answer?" Robin walked up to me and gently grabbed me by my shoulders, "Brian, you're my best friend. I know what happened on Cinnabar happened because you weren't in your right mind, and I know it was because of what I said to you back in Saffron. I lost myself too, Brian. I was getting sick of losing to you, and when I finally got a taste of victory against you, I let it get to my head. I didn't realize how much finding Letta meant to you. You're on this journey to find her. I'm on my journey to beat you. What does that say about me as a friend? Everything that happened was because I didn't wanna be second place. I finally know what it feels like to live in someone's shadow, and I gotta tell you Brian, it sucks. This is what you've had to deal with all these years?"

"Yeah," I shrugged, "It's not exactly the best feeling in the world, but I deal with it."

"That says a lot about you as a person and as a friend. I've only had to deal with a few months, and look what happened."

"Well, some worlds are just made for us I guess."

"And this world was made for both of us. It's a world where people who value friendship can thrive. It's not about who's the strongest or the smartest. It's about who has the biggest heart. It's about who, in the end, is going to do right. That's us, Brian. I say we make a pact right now, that no matter what, we'll stay the way we are. Good, wholesome, and the perfect amount of messed up in the head."

"Let's not forget the best of friends."

"Well, that's a given. Some things will never change." As he said this, he pulled me in, and for the first time since we arrived to this world, Robin and I hugged, and it felt like I had my brother again. "And don't worry, I'll kick your ass some other time."

"I look forward to making sure you don't."

"Hey, guys," a voice interrupted us, "got room for one more?"

We turned around to see Kylie, standing across the way, fists jammed in the pockets of her shorts.

"Of course, Kylie," I smiled, "Bring it in."

Kylie stumbled over to us and pulled both of us in for a hug, "I missed this, you guys."

"Yeah," Robin sighed, "But it's not complete yet," he looked up at me again and smiled, "There's one person missing."

"Hey, Robin," Kylie looked over at her boyfriend, "do you mind if I talk to Brian alone for a second?"

"Yeah, sure," Robin responded, then turned to look at me. "Hey, Brian. Don't make me regret what I did. You knock the crap out of the Elite Four for both of us. You show them what we're made of."

"You got it, bro!" I affirmed as he walked off. Then I turned my gaze to Kylie, who looked at me expectantly. "What's up?"

"That was quite a show you two put on," Kylie chuckled, "I can't say the rest of the crowd was very fond of it."

"Yeah, well, you can't please everyone."

"That's very true. But I just want to say I'm really glad you two are on good terms."

"Yeah, me too. It really gets a lot of pressure off of me, and I finally feel like I've got my brother back."

"Well that's good. And what about us?"

"What about us?"

"Are we good?"

"I would think so. I think everything that needs to be said has been said, and now we can move on and start over."

"I agree. And I promise to be as much of a friend to you as you are to Robin. You deserve that much."

"And I'll try to be the friend I was to you so long ago."

"That's all I ask," Kylie then proceeded to give me a hug, and before walking off, she said, "Now, go knock the crap out of the Elite Four and make us proud."