Bulking Up

I tried not to let Robin's remark bother me. Even so, he really hit a soft spot, and he knew that. I could not stop thinking about Letta now. I kept wondering if she was okay, and if she was thinking about me. Then the thought occured to me: the sooner I become the greatest trainer of all, the sooner I will find Letta.

I used this as an incentive. I thought about me beating every Gym Leader in the region, then beating everyone out of the Pokemon League, and finally defeating the Elite Four. After doing all of that, I would go to Cerulean Cave and find Mewtwo, and soon thereafter, I would find Letta. All of the work I put into this journey would be worth seeing Letta at least one more time. I would put every drop of blood, sweat, and tears into finding Letta.

Using what I knew about the world of Pokemon, I inferred that I was not yet ready to take on Brock at the Pewter City Gym. My team consisted of a Fire-type, which had little effect against Brock's Rock-types; an Electric-type, which would have little to no effect on them due to the fact that they are secondary Ground-types; and a Water-type, which while usually effective against Rock and Ground types, was not the case for me, seeing as my Water-type was Magikarp, which only knew Tackle. I only had one solution: I had to get stronger.

I trained in Viridian Forest for hours on end, making my Pokémon stronger and making sure they were ready to face off against The Rock-Solid Pokémon Trainer. Eventually, Charmander learned Metal Claw, a Steel-type move. This would really help me in my battle against Brock, but I could not stop here. I knew that at any point, Brock could use a Rock-type move, and Charmander would be out like a light. I kept on training until I was sure that Charmander would be able to withstand anything that Brock could throw at us.

I believe in balance, so I made sure that Pichu and Magikarp got as much training as Charmander did. It was hard to train Magikarp because it seemed to be getting less and less formidable in battle. Pichu, on the other hand, was a little monster. With every battle it participated in, it seemed to be getting faster, stronger, and smarter. It started coming up with strategies on its own, and they proved to be extremely effective in battle.

I was sighted by a bug catcher, who decided to challenge me to a battle. I smirked and sent out Pichu, who was on the rotation for training. I figured that if Pichu could get through this battle without taking too much damage, we would be ready to face Brock.

The bug catcher's first Pokémon was a Weedle. No big deal, Pichu wiped it out with a single Thundershock. Same happened with the second and third Pokémon, also Weedle. The third and fourth Pokémon were Kakuna, which were a bit tougher to knock out, but still did not put up much of a fight.

It was at this point, I began to analyze: this bug catcher has used three Weedle and two Kakuna, the evolved form of Weedle. This meant that his last Pokémon would either be another Kakuna, or possibly worse.

"Alright, that's it!" I heard the bug catcher yell, "Now you've unleashed the beast!"

Just as I thought. The last Pokemon on his roster was Beedrill, the final evolution of Weedle. I watched as the bug catcher summoned the Poison Bee Pokémon. It glared at Pichu menacingly. While I was slightly apprehensive due to the fact that this was my first time facing a fully-evolved Pokémon, Pichu did not seem at all impressed.

The battle went under way. Beedrill tried to jab at Pichu with its spear-like legs. Pichu easily evaded the attack. This went on for a while, and I realized that, while Beedrill was incredibly fast, Pichu would have no problems evading its attacks. On the flip side of that coin, it also occured to me that if Pichu insisted on dodging Beedrill's attacks, it would never have a chance to retaliate.

At one point, Pichu lost his balance. Beedrill tried to take advantage of this opportunity to attack, but Pichu slapped it away with a Tail Whip. After which, Pichu began to shudder, and I became very concerned. Had coming into contact with Beedrill poisoned Pichu?

My worries went away as I saw a gleaming light surround Pichu. The silhouette transformed and became a stronger, faster, and more formidable Pikachu. Beedrill, trying to hide its impression, made one last attempt to attack Pikachu. Pikachu simply glanced over at the charging Beedrill and delivered a powerful Thundershock that fried Beedrill in its tracks. The bug catcher stood there, gaping at what had become of his beloved Pokémon.

Now, I thought as a smirk cracked across my face, we are ready to face Brock.