Brock

I stepped into the Pewter City Gym with my fists clenched tight and eyes locked on Brock. I stepped forward and loosened my fists. I had to relax for this fight. If I stressed myself too much, it could inhibit my performance.

I could not tell if Brock was looking at me through those tiny slits he called eyes. I glared into them intensely, but he seemed unaffected.

I reached for my Pokéball, and as I did, I saw Brock yank a Pokéball out of his vest and fling it out onto the battlefield. Out popped Geodude.

I reached for Charmander and summoned him onto the field. Brock laughed at the sight of the Fire-type Pokémon before him.

“This is what you challenge me with?” the Pewter City Gym Leader scoffed, “A tiny Fire-type? Oh this is going to be over quick. Geodude, use Rock Throw!”

“You’re right,” I smirked, “This is going to be over quick. Charmander, Metal Claw!”

Charmander’s paw began to shine a bright silver color as it charged at the opposing Geodude. Geodude tried to hurry up and follow through with its attack, but Charmander was too fast for him. Charmander jabbed at Geodude and knocked it out with one hit. Brock’s eyes widened at the sight of this. At least, I think they did. He could have just been blinking, I cannot be too sure.

Brock returned Geodude to its Pokéball and released Onix. I lacked concern, because Onix had to go through a long amount of training before it learned any useful rock-type attacks. 

“Onix!” Brock yelled desperately, “Use Tackle, now!”

Onix charged at Charmander furiously. I stood there, waiting for the attack that was to come. Charmander intercepted the attack and seemed only slightly affected by it. Onix insistently tried to wrestle Charmander while my Lizard Pokémon held the Rock Snake back. Suddenly, Charmander began to shudder, and a smirk cracked across my face.

A gleaming light surrounded Charmander, and it grew. It grew into the silhouette of a Charmeleon, Charmander’s evolved form. Charmeleon tossed Onix to one side, lifted up it’s paw, shining with a shade of sterling silver, and slammed it down on Onix’s face. The Rock Snake groaned in pain as it collapsed on the ground, unable to battle any longer.

Onix was returned to its Pokéball. Brock reluctantly reached into his vest and pulled out the Boulder Badge. He tossed it across the field and into my hands. 

“That’s an impressive little Flame Pokémon you’ve got,” Brock commended, “Good luck against Misty. You’ll need it if you plan on using that one again.”

“Don’t worry about that,” I smirked, “I got something completely different coming for Misty. She won’t know what hit her.”