Deeper in the Wood

“Oh, Kylie’s here with you?” I looked up at Robin, “That’s really cool that you guys ended up here together.”

“Yeah,” Robin grinned, “We were together when the flood happened. We promised each other we would never let go. I’m gonna go get her. You should come along with us, Brian. We could be like a trio.”

“No, that’s okay. It would feel kind of weird. You know, you two doing your thing and I would just be the third wheel. I think I’m gonna hike it alone this time around.”

“Suit yourself, Bri. I’ll see you around. Be warned, the next time I see you, we’re gonna battle it out again, and I will be a lot harder to beat.”

I chuckled cockily as Robin walked away. My grin wiped away the moment he was out of sight. I flashed back to the flood. Robin was with Kylie when the flood took place. Meanwhile, where was I? Letta and I had just gotten off the phone making plans to see each other. What happened to Letta? Where was she? If Robin had the blessing of holding on to his girlfriend during his flood, what stopped me from doing the same?

Brian Phoenix, a voice echoed in my head, I’ve been expecting you.

“Who’s there?” I yelled out, “Show yourself!”

Come deeper into the wood. I request an audience with you.

“Why should I trust you? Who are you?”

I am a sage of human and Pokémon alike. I know what troubles you, and I have the solution. But only if you are willing to listen.

“Why can’t you just tell me now?”

I would prefer to confront you face to face.

I decided to give in and wander into the woods. Many wild Pokémon scattered around, apparently trying to clear a path for me. I came to the thickest part of the woods and came across a pair of glowing blue eyes.

“Alright,” I leered into the darkness, “I’m here. Now will you tell me who you are?”

I am a friend, the voice said. I know you are longing for your girlfriend, Letta Prescod.

“How do you know that?”

As I told you before, I am a sage of humans and Pokémon alike. A strange foot emerged from the darkness. I am... Mewtwo...