Chapter 10// Jealousy

Jadens Pov

"Dude, that's ridiculous." Zack bantered, putting more gum into his mouth.

Cole raised an eyebrow jokingly, although I could tell he was starting to get defensive. "How? It's so simple, we have a strong enough fielding strategy we could beat any team, even if our hitting sucked."

"which it doesn't," I added, receiving a nod from Cole.

"True, therefore with great hitting and great fielding - aren't we unbeatable?" Cole asked, leaving the question out in the air even though I knew he really didn't want an answer.

After being Cole's best friend for over seven years, I noticed things about him others usually wouldn't.

For instance, he could only joke around to a certain point, and had boundaries. Cole could start out joking with someone, and actually get mad without other people noticing he wasn't kidding.

Cole wasn't hot headed per se - but he did have a short patience. Cole didn't like slacking, especially at baseball, and he wouldn't tolerate flat out laziness.

He was also defensive at times, and could go to the earth's end to defend a point. This is probably why his dad always jokes he could be a lawyer if he wanted too.

"No, it doesn't Cole. I mean, this isn't regionals or finals. This is the big thing - all these teams have 'great fielding and great batting' you know?" Zack said, less defiantly than before.

I agreed with Zack, but didn't want to get too involved.

Cole shrugged, he knew Zack was right also. "Anyway - any of you guys thinking about hoco?"

"Heck yes." I said excitedly, my thoughts instantly went to Chloe. She was so... perfect. Which honestly wasn't even a good word to describe her. Chloe had flaws, but her flaws made her even more perfect.

The way she sometimes got shy around guys, or the way she could get angry easily if prodded at could be considered 'flaws' but I thought they made her even more attractive.

She was everything I could ever ask for in a girl, and I hadn't realized that until recently. The only thing in my way? Cole.

"Ooh, Jaden's got some babe in mind. Who you asking?" Cole asked, grinning at me.

My eyes darted around at all the guys in the dug out right now - Braden, Zack, Cole, Chayton; and I got dumbfounded. "Uh- I'm not totally sure yet-" i paused, my mind thinking of some cover up so I didn't have to tell Cole I liked Chloe. "probably Haley though."

Cole clapped his hands and patted my back. "Atta boy, you guys talking?"

I kept an excited disposition - but on the inside this was torture. I didn't want to dig an even deeper hole with this lie, but now was not the time or place. "Yeah, she's into me - at least I think so."

Cole laughed and so did Zack and Chayton. Braden frowned, and narrowed his eyes at me. What was this for? Did he like Haley?

Shit. This was bad, I could've just screwed over Haley, who I didn't even like nor did I talk too, and also had to lie about Chloe.

"How about you guys - anyone have a date yet?" I asked, my eyes focused on the field. Even though Coach split us in half right now to practice fielding, I needed to keep my head in this. We were here to play baseball, not get involved in romances.

"Nah, not yet. I'm gonna see if Chloe can set me up with one of her friends though." Cole admitted, his tone cool.

"Ha, wanna see if you can set me up with Chloe?" Braden joked, winking at Cole. He knew this sort of stuff bothered Cole. Which is exactly why I was terrified to tell him I liked him.