Introduction

***

Yearning for a normal life, assassin Karmen-Marie has had enough—enough of surviving contracted hits, and enough of the post-apocalyptic world. Forced to take one last job, Karma sets out across the frozen landscape of Earth.

Rea MacBain's job is to ensure the safety of Earth's precious few water purification plants. He believes his abusive past must stay buried under the snow that encases his domain.

A single bullet will send Karma and Rea in a direction they'd never expected. Ice-cold assassin's blood drives the woman sent to kill him, yet it ignites the fire which thaws Rea's heart.

                                                                                           ***

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted, with the exception of a reviewer who may quote passages in a review, without written prior permission from the publisher.

This is a work of fiction. All characters, names, events, incidents, and places are of the author's imagination and not to be confused with fact. Any resemblance to living persons or events is merely a coincidence.

WARNING: The author would solemnly advise you not to attempt any of the sexual or non-sexual actions of any of the characters in this book. Any damage physical, mental, or emotional is the sole responsibility of the person/persons attempting such actions. Please be aware that this is a work of fiction and you are responsible for yourself and the consequences caused thereof.

                                                                                          ***

*Chapter 1* 

Place: Old United States of America, New York City

Time: 1:05 a.m. Ice Year 1

     Blood splattered on his ice-coated pack of playing cards.

     Freeing the ace of hearts, Keith glared at his blindfolded captive while he wiped off the card. When the deck was clean, he set the pack between the neat row of different-sized knives and his old clock receiver. The time blinked at him. 1:05 a.m. He leaned his hip against the stainless-steel table as he eyed the man tied to the chair in the middle of the stark room.

     The prisoner flexed in his seat in fear and pain. Sweat trickled down the side of his face. Keith considered the blindfold. The eyes never lied. He might remove the cloth once they got started again. Not really interested in torture today, he flipped on his radio.

     While listening to the only radio station available, he picked up his favorite knife, the one with the jagged hook on the end.

     "Welcome to CNN-Fox News United, Full Spectrum. This is Ethan Robinson, and this is your Eye on Ice. It is currently five minutes past one," the radio announcer began in a monotone voice. "The United Nations announced today all government officials would like to celebrate Ice Year One or I.Y.1."