Changes

I knew I shouldn't have been shocked but I couldn't help myself. I looked around the room placing faces and masks. How could I have been so stupid? "Listen I know it is a lot to take in, but I promise I will make sure you are safe at all times," Oliver's voice was soft but I couldn't focus on it. "Black Canary, Speedy, Arsenal.... All of you, you're the masks around Starling and Central City," I turned to Barry who was looking at the ground. I didn't know what to think, this was all so overwhelming.The people I had come to know as my friends, starting to feel like they might have been my family had been keeping something from me. Something big and life changing. Barry, I knew his secret but he knew there was so much more for me to know. So much more that he was keeping from me. I shake my head trying to clear it, people are talking to me maybe telling me who they are but I didn't hear. I looked around the room one more time before running out of the room. I didn't know where I was going but I had to get away from that room, away from those people. People I trusted, people I should still trust but don't.

I am in the car before anyone has a chance to catch up with me, I knew Barry could if he wanted to but I also knew he wouldn't. I was speeding until I got to the familiar neighborhood in The Glades the I slowed down. I drove down to the most familiar house on the block and honked the horn of the car twice. Our signal, it took Jason only a minute to be out the door. "Well you sure are adapting to a life of luxury," Jason grabs for my hand and I don't pull away. In fact I didn't do anything I just looked at him and then started crying, the past events of the day were now getting to me. These were tears of anger, and betrayal, and hurt. I didn't know which was more powerful. When I started to cry Jason moved me over and held me on his lap soothing me and stroking my hair. Jason was always good at calming me down when I was hurt or upset or afraid. He didn't press me he just let me cry until I couldn't cry anymore. Finally he pulled away enough to see my face, "What happened?" His voice was soft and it didn't hold curiosity only worry for me and my well being. What did I ever do to deserve him?  I thought to myself. It was true I had never done anything to deserve an amazing friend like Jason. I knew I couldn't tell him the truth but I could sum it up as best as I could, "People who I started to trust, who I thought cared about me. They were keeping a big secret, a life changing secret." 

Jason nodded but didn't say anything just kept stroking my hair and soothing me. Finally when I stopped breathing hard he pulled away again, "I don't know what went down but I do know that Oliver and that crew already adopted you into their family and they would do anything and everything to protect you. This is me sticking up for people I hardly like so that should say something Mel, and I'm not doing this for their benefit I' doing it for yours. You already love them so talk to them Mel. I'll be right here okay?" I nodded Jason was right. These people had become a big part in my life already and I needed them, just like I needed Jason. "I'll go back, but you have to come with me," I make sure my voice doesn't waver when I speak, I keep it strong and steady. Jason looks unsure but after some persuasion he agrees. We dive back to the mansion in silence. Jason kept his hand in mine during the drive, and only let it go when we had to get out of the car. It had been almost two hours since I was last here but I had no doubt in my mind everyone was still here. 

I walk in and tell Jason to wait in my bedroom, he looks unsure, "Jason really, this isn't for you to know. I'll be fine, you were right when you said I needed these people in my life." I smile encouragingly but I feel like Jason can see right through it. He nods anyway but before retreating to my room he pulls me into a hug. When he lets me go he smiles then disappears through the doorway. By now they know I'm back, I need just another minute to prepare myself. I take a deep breath and then nod and walk down the stairs and into the living room. Not everyone is there, only Oliver, Felicity, Roy, and Barry. This shouldn't have surprised me but it did. Roy spoke up first, "Listen you may not want to be part of this and that's fair. It's a lot to ask someone, but please Melanie-" I didn't give Roy a chance to finish. "You are hero's, and it is not right for me to judge that. You have saved lives and you still do every night. I do not hate you," I look directly ay Oliver when I say that. "I am not mad, just shocked. We are just getting to know each other and because you told me means that you trust me already. I will not tell anyone but I will also not sit on the sidelines. I am a fighter and I always have been, my one condition is you let me help you. Train me and then let me out in the field." 

Oliver POV

Just as I thought everything would be okay she asks me to risk her life, but it was her one condition and she was my family. I had already grown so attached to her I knew I could not let her go. I knew everyone was waiting for my approval, I took a deep breath before speaking, "You will train. But until I say you are ready you will not go out into the field. You will stay at base with Felicity. When the time comes for you to be out in the field you will stay with me until I think you are good enough to be safe on your own. Then and only then will you be able to go out on your own." I didn't hear any protests from anyone, even Melanie knew that this was the best she was going to get. Melanie spoke after a minute of silence, "Thank you Oliver. You will not regret this at all." She walked out of the room and after a minute the rest followed leaving me and Felicity alone. "She's right you know, you won't regret this," Felicity was trying to play both sides as she always does and I smiled down at her. "I hope I won't. I really do." 

(Authors note)

I'm sorry for the not updating soon. I had to make many changes in this chapter. If I am being honest it wasn't until this chapter that I really decided what would happen in Melanie's future until this chapter. I had known for a while that I was going to finish the chapter when Melanie finds out in Oliver's point of view. I think you readers needed to see what was going on in his mind. Oliver isn't pleased with Melanie in the field because he knows how dangerous it is. As I was saying I didn't really know till now what would happen in Melanie's future until this chapter. I wanted this chapter to show you readers that even though Melanie is strong girl when it really comes down to it she loves these people and she does not want to lose them. In the upcoming chapter you will see a lot of things come into play. I hope you all enjoy and there is a lot more to come!!