Weapons Room

I stood there for what felt like days but was only minutes, Roy's words repeating over and over in my mind Melanie if you have feelings for Barry go for it. I didn't know what I felt for him. I mean I liked Barry, a lot. I knew that if anything happened to him I didn't know what I would do. But I was just getting to know him, we were just becoming friends and already we were kissing each other. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. It was just a kiss. One kiss. I said to myself forcing Roy's words out of my mind. It didn't have to mean anything, did it? I didn't hear Oliver approach but I felt his hand on my shoulder and I jumped. I spun around almost as fast as Barry could have, okay not that fast. "Oliver, what are you doing back?" I ask and then glance at the clock. It was already 7 o'clock. Oliver only smiles, he was so kind it was almost hard to believe he was real. It was hard to believe any of this was real. It had been what, a week maybe a week and a half since my life changed. "Well this is where I live and I didn't want to spend my night work" he laughs. His laugh sounded off, it was strained and tired. Now that I was looking at him, his eyes had dark circles and bags, it looked hard for him to even stand without passing out. I wondered when he had slept last. "Why don't you lay down," I say in as much of a sisterly tone I can manage. He nods and walks over to the couch where he practically falls.

I watch as he turns over and his eyes flutter close. He is a sleep before I can speak again. In the corner of my eye I spot Felicity walking past the room, "Felicity come here!" I whisper and drag her to Oliver. She smiles and leans down to kiss his forehead, "Leave him be." She says and then turns back to where she was going. I watch Oliver sleep for a minute, studying him like I do with Jason. He, like Jason, is guarded and in sleep he is vulnerable. He looks younger almost a teenager again. I can see the resemblances between us now. We have the same nose and cheek bones. I had also noticed our smirk and smile are a like in many ways. His hands are large and rough they must have come from his- our father. I knew that I had my mother build. Although I could see some of Robert Queen in the way I moved. I smile and quietly slipped out of the room.

I wander down the halls exploring the mansion. I find what must have been Robert and Moira's room. There is a wardrobe half opened half closed and I can see clothes. I can tell by the clothes that they are not something young women such as Thea or Felicity would wear. I leave the room and walk down the corridor glancing in rooms that are mostly empty. Some hold furniture, others hold toys for young children, one holds art. I walk into that one. It is a large room with wooden floors. I walk along the edge looking at the artwork. I notice many expensive pieces I come up to one is smaller it has a city landscape. I think to myself it must be New York, although I've never been I've always dreamed if going and one day living there. I reach out to touch it but draw my hand back. I walk out of the room and into another. This one holds weapons, the expensive and old kind.  There are maces, swords, sheilds, bows and arrows, whips made of leather and metal. There are even axes that must have been used by vikings. I reach out to touch a sword my hand carefully  stroking the blade.

"My father was a collector," says a voice behind me. I turn to see Oliver leaning against the frame of the door. I wonder she he woke up. I had been exploring for about a half an hour now. He was smiling in a way that I hadn't seen him smile before. It was a mix of a sad and happy smile. As if he were recalling a good memory but is sad it has passed. I take my hand off the blade as Oliver walks foreword. "You can hold it if you want," he reaches the spot I am at and takes the blade from it's holder. He places it in my hands and I look down at it. It was beautiful. I carefully place my hands around it's grip and make a slashing motion away from Oliver. "You've held a blade before," it wasn't a question but an observation. I turn to him and smile, "Yes. There use to be a antique shop down in The Glades that had a sword like this. A short sword. I saved all the money I could to get it and when I finally had enough I went back but it was gone. The store owner had sold it the day before." I close my eyes and see the blade in my mind. "To be honest," I say in a quiet voice, "I've always been fascinated by weaponry. I don't know why I just have." I meet Oliver's gaze and see him starting at me. I feel myself blush and then get defensive, "Everyone has interests," I snap at him. "I wasn't looking at you because I was judging you I was looking at you because at that moment you seemed almost exactly like my father. And myself."

That takes me aback. I look down at the blade in my had and smile before handing it back to Oliver. "Where did you get all of these?" I ask gesturing to the collection of weapons. He runs his fingers carefully over an axe before he speaks again, "As I said my- our father was a collector. Most of the weapons are old from the mid-evil era. Some from the baroque. Other I don't know where they came from." I move around the room taking in all the weapons. I smile to myself and remember what my mother once said, "You are different from other girls. Liking weaponry and not makeup. But it's what's differs about you that makes you special." I bite my lip as I approach a wooden bow. I reach out and take it in my hands. I hold it up and pull the string back. Oliver looks at me with amazement and wonder. "You know how to use a bow?" He asks his voice can't hide the surprise in it. I smile and nod, "My grandfather use to take me on hunting trips. I always loved the bow. I've been shooting since I was four." At this his eyes only widen and I laugh, "It's not big deal." I put the bow down and walk around some more.

Oliver watches me as I move silently around the room. I run my fingers overall sorts of weapons. Bows, maces, axes, all sorts of swords. I feel myself smiling as I know which era all the weapons are from. I actually made it into a game with myself. I think about my mother and how she always found it odd, cute, and special about my fascination with weapons. I close my eyes and see my mothers face in my mind. Her hair the same color if mine, her eyes just a few shades darker than mine, her skin always tan. I can feel the tears run down my cheek like they always do when I think of my mother. I feel Oliver's arms wrap around me. They feel strong and warm and protective. I never had a big brother, I mean I had Jason but nothing like this. Nothing like Oliver, until now. Oliver didn't say anything he just held me while I cried. I cried for my mother, my family. I cried for not knowing my father and not meeting Oliver and Thea before now. I cried for Barry. Lastly I cried for myself. For being lost, not knowing who to trust or what I want. For being alone in my misery.

Finally I speak my head is on Oliver's should and it muffles my voice, "I don't know who I am anymore, Oliver." I hadn't told anyone that. I didn't even know why I told Oliver. Oliver pulls away but only slightly, he looks down at me and says, "You are the person you want to be. Melanie Queen or Melanie Walker. They are both you." I smile and hug him again. He pulls away and walks to the first sword I held. He silently takes it off it's stand and hands it to me. "Take it Melanie. It's yours"