Complaction

"I'm guessing Jason didn't make a first good impression" I say shying away form the look Oliver is giving me. Oliver thinks about what he is going to say before he says it, "No..." he draws the word out, "He didn't. I'd rather you stay away from him in fact." What he says takes me aback. I knew Jason had made a bad impression but not that bad. I feel a wave a rage wash over me and can't help the out burst that follows. "You can't tell me who to be friends with! You may be my older brother by blood but That doesn't make you a brother! Jason has been my friend for as long as I am remember! It was him who was always there for me!" I snap and then glare at Oliver. He seems to since my rage and puts his hands up. "Look Melanie, I'm not trying to tell you not to be friends with him. It's just he seems like a bad kid." When he talks I feel as if he knows more than he's letting on.

I glare at him. "What aren't you telling me Oliver?" I demand narrowing my eyes. He looks down, "The night before you met me. Umm... I was out in the Glades. I saw him and a friend if his. He was blonde and tall. They were about to mug someone" He trails off. At first I just stand there. I can't move, my head is pounding. Jason wouldn't do that. Not ever. I couldn't find the words to defend him. I knew that Jason was capable of mugging but he said he'd stopped. "No... It's - it's got to be a mistake. He was with me that night" I meant for the words to come out sounding confident but instead they sound feeble and weak. Oliver looked at me with concern. I took a deep breath and tried to regain control of myself. Oliver could see I cared for Jason, so why would he lie? 'He has no reason too. You know it's true' says a voice in the back if my head. I shake my head trying to clear it, but the words keep repeating themselves. Oliver has no reason to lie. Oliver has no reason to lie.

I finally decide I should tell him a small bit about my past. "Jason and me weren't always friends. In fact when we first met we hated each other. We met when I was out on the streets. I saw someone and went for the wallet. Jason beat me to it. He and his gang got the jump on him. I grabbed the wallet though and made a run for it. A couple days later I was out on the street and Jason and his gang cornered me. One of them recognized me from the mugging. They took my back to their "hideout" if you want to call it that. They locked me up. They tortured me. Jason was the only one who didn't care for it. He helped me escape even though he hated me he respected me.

"It was a couple months before I saw him again. He was getting coffee for him and his girl friend. I was working in the coffee house. "So I guess your pig pocket business didn't work out" he said when I handed the coffee to him. "Something like that. What about you and your gang, unsuccessful?" He glared and turned around but before he left he said "Yeah, something like that." After that it was another couple months before I saw him. When I did he was saving me from gang bangers. I was heading home from the coffee shop, it was late. I was about three blocks from my house when someone grabbed me. They held me and... It doesn't matter. Jason was walking by and he saw this. I was struggling to get away, one of me and four of them. Jason came to my rescue he knocked one if them out and put one on the ground. The one holding me I knocked out and the other one ran. He walked me home to make sure I was safe. After that it was an easy friendship. He told me he gave up that life. I guess I believed him" I let my voice fade to silence. I didn't need to see the look on Oliver's face to tell that I was crying.

I wiped my tears and walked over to the couch. "He's not a bad person. Not anymore. We don't get the luxury you get Oliver. Some of us have to live like that." I knew I was lying to myself though. I was finding ways around Jason mugging someone. "He works for your company. Him and his friend Blake. And as I said before, they were with me that night. We were at Verdant." 'But they left. Just the two of them' a small voice sounds in my head. Oliver looks down at his phone and types something in. He scrolls as if he's looking for something. Finally he says, "I have no record of anyone named Blake working for Queen Consolidated. I do however have a Jason Lackey." I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Relief floods through me like a tidal wave but it was all too soon, "All though he didn't work the night before we met. In fact he asked for that day off." All the relief leaves me as quickly as it came. Now all I felt was confused. I walk over to the window, "Can you leave please? I need to be alone" I tell Oliver.

I feel his hand on my shoulder and then he leaves. After I hear the door close behind him and then run to my phone. I short Jason a text saying, 'Jason get back here now!' In about five minutes I hear a knock on my door. Jason walks in holding coffee. "Where were you when you left Verdant a couple nights ago? Where did you go?" I demand. At first he looks confused and then his eyes flood with knowledge. "You know where I was. I went to work with Blake" his voice was steady and anyone who wasn't his best friend wouldn't have known he was lying. "Blake doesn't work at Queen Consolidated. The night we went to Verdant you didn't go in. So I'll ask again, where were you?" He can see in my eyes that I already know and says the words I've been dreading. "You already know." My breath catches and I nod. "Why Jason? Why?"

For a while he stays silent. I could tell that he was trying to figure out what to say, "Look Mel, I gave it up after I got kicked- I mean I left the gang. Up until a couple months back I was clean. Then a gang banger came up to me. He told me I had skills he needed. I turned down his offer at first. I promise I did Mel. But then he came to me a while later and said that if I didn't work for him he'd have you killed. So I went to work for him and..." He doesn't finish the sentence he just looks up to see if I believe him. I can tell by the look in his eye that most of what he said was the truth. "Your either leaving something out or making something up." I tell him. I was afraid my voice would waver but to my surprise it didn't. It sounded strong and confident. There was only a moment of silence.

Everything happened so fast. First Jason glared and then snapped "You little bitch!" The next thing I know he has a gun in his hand and is aiming it towards my head. I gasp and slowly back up. "Jason your scaring me." Something in his eyes makes me even more scared than I am. "My dear, Jason isn't here. No I'm his twin brother Jack. I had a job to kill you the night you left Verdant with my brother. Of course thanks to that damn vigilante my plan failed!" I am now pressed against the wall. "J-Jason where is he?" I had a million questions but that was the only one that I came out. "He's safe. As much as I dislike him. He's my brother nothing will happen to him. You on the other hand. Well your going to die my dear" he sneers and then shoots.