Finding Out

I was so stunned I couldn't say anything. Robert Queen was not- no could not be my father! "How can you be sure? He's dead" I say. "We didn't need his DNA right away. We tested yours to his son Oliver and it was a match. So we asked Oliver if he had any DNA of his fathers and when he sent some in we tested and it matched" I nodded I couldn't do anything else. "T- thanks Caleb" I said and slowly get up and walk away back to the elevator and down to the parking lot. I get in my car and sit there allowing it to soak in. I didn't believe it, I couldn't believe it. My mother would have told me. Wouldn't she? I start my car and drive home. When I get home I walk into what use to be my mothers room. I never had the heart to change anything, or even come in here since she died. I walked slowly to her bed and sat down, "Oh mom what did you get yourself into?" I say as silent tears roll down my face. I see her desk door slightly open, I hadn't noticed that before now. So I walk over to it and I see a letter, it was laying in an envelope addressed to me.

'Dear my sweet sweet girl,
I know you have many questions and I don't have the time to answer them. And for that I am so sorry baby. Your father, what I told you about him, it was a lie. He didn't abandon us. He was married, when him and his wife went through a hard time, I guess I was his escape. He died in a boat crash and the worst thing is he never knew about you. Don't blame him sweetie. Sweetheart I know I should have told you a long time ago and I should have told Robert as well. It sure would have helped if he knew... Your father his name is Robert Queen...'

The letter went on but I couldn't read anymore of it. Not yet, maybe not ever. I had so many questions for him, for my mother, but I couldn't ask either of them. Both of my parents were dead, at least I found out I had siblings. But what would I say if I were ever to confront them? How would I prove myself? I didn't realize that I was sobbing until I got up off my moms bed. I walked to the bathroom and turned on my shower. It was the only thing I knew would calm me down enough to confront anyone. Once I got out I walked to my closet and picked out the nicest clothes I had that weren't too fancy. They turned out being white skinny miss me jeans and a blue top with sequence on the neck line.

I dried my hair. When it was dry I curled it and then put it up. After I was done I just stood there and stared in the mirror. My hair was a light auburn color. My eyes were a light brown color and my skin was pale. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, then slowly put on my make-up. Once I was done I grabbed my purse and headed out to my car. I sat in my car for a minute considering my options and then finally I drove down to Queen Consolidated. When I parked my car I started to hyperventilate. I knew I had to do this. I had to do it for me.

I walked into the building and there were two ladies at the front desk. One was a small brunette who looked around 27ish. The other was a blonde with glasses. She looked at me and then back to the other woman and said something and then turned to me. "Hello, you must be Miss. Walker. I'm Felicity Smoak. Mr. Queen has been expecting you." I blink a couple of times shocked. "Umm... Yeah. I mean Yes I'm Miss. Walker. Melanie actually. How did Oli- Mr. Queen know I was coming?" She walks toward the elevator with me following. We enter the elevator and as the door shuts she speaks again.

"He got a call from the hospital this morning. He umm.... He came to me telling me he had another sister that he never knew about it. He said you would most likely be arriving soon and that I should be down there to meet you. Before you judge Oliver on the things he has done or will do he is a great guy you just need to give him a chance." She gives a small smile. I nod and stay silent the rest of the ride. When to doors open again I stop breathing. I follow Felicity into a large office with glass windows. Oliver Queen is standing in the back corner facing the window. "Thank you Felicity" he turns and smiles at her. I can instantly tell that they are in love just by the way they look at each other. Felicity smiles at me and then leaves shutting the doors behind her. A lump forms in my throat as Oliver Queen turns to look at me.

I look down and for a while there's just silence and then Oliver breaks it, "Hello, you must be Miss. Walker." I realize he says the same things as Felicity. A small smile tugs at the corners of my mouth and I nod. He look towards two chairs and starts to sit down, "Shall we sit?" I follow and sit down across from him. Again there is a silence that we are both afraid to break, finally I take a deep breath and a big leap. "How did you know I would be coming?" I looked up and met Oliver's eyes for the first time. He looks like he's struggling to find words to say.

"Well, umm... The hospital called me this morning around 8 o'clock. They told me that they had a DNA sample and had tested it. Well they told me that they wanted to talk about the results. I was hesitant to answer but I let them tell me. They told me that they had a 19 year old patient who was looking for her father. I said that it was impossible for me to have a 19 year old daughter. They agreed and told me they believed you were my sister. They had asked me if I still had anything with my fathers DNA I sent something in and it turned out that you were. They told me your last name but did not reveal your first. I'm guessing that was your doing." I only nodded. He just said what felt like a speech and I didn't know what to say. I looked down and kept silent, I guess he realized I was nervous because he didn't push. "Anyways, I'm guessing we are siblings or half siblings" he says meeting my eyes. I take a deep breath a nod. I know I should say something but I don't know what. Finally, I try swallow the lump in my throat and talk. "My mom, umm... She left a note explaining everything. It says my father was Robert Queen. She never told him about me, she wanted to keep me to herself." He nods and smiles when I talk.

"Well I suppose I should introduce myself. Although you most likely already know that I'm Oliver Queen. But what you don't know is that I'm not the playboy everyone thinks I am." I nod as I try to figure out what to say. "I'm actually a really good person." He smiles slightly. Just as I was about to say something a young man hurried into the office with Felicity trying to stop him. "Oliver we have a problem-" he stops talking when he sees me. He meets my eyes right away and for a second I feel like I've seen him before. "Barry, not now I'm busy!" He says glancing towards me. My eyes are still locked with the guy named Barry and he is still looking at me. "Go!" Oliver demands looking back and fourth between me and Barry. Barry finally looks away and kind of glares at Oliver then leaves. I stare after him until Oliver says something again, "Sorry for that interruption." I blink a couple of times and then turn around. "It's okay. Completely okay." He nods and sighs a bit. "Anyways, you know who I am but the only thing I know about you is thy your last name is Walker and we have the same father."

I didn't know what to say so I started at the beginning, "My name is Melanie. My mom is dead she died a couple years back, as I said before she left a note before she died explaining everything. I just found it today. I'm 19 years old, but you already knew that. I live alone and that's it really." I had a point that was really my life story. I grew up with a mom and she died. I'm not in collage because I don't have the money and that's it. My life story. Oliver looks at me and then glances towards his computer as if he was reading something off it, "What about collage?" He asked me as if reading my mind. All the sudden I felt like a charity case. I wasn't going to be rude about it but I kind of wanted to say something. "I'm not in it. I don't have enough money. But I'm fine where I'm at now" I added that last part to make it clear that I wasn't looking for handouts. He nodded understanding what I was saying without me having to say it. "Look, I'm not looking for you to be my charity case. I honestly want to get to know you Melanie. I would like to be your brother or at least a friend. If you'd let me of course."

I couldn't believe what he was saying. Oliver Queen wanted to know me, he wanted to be my brother. I never had any siblings but I had always wanted some. I can feel warmth rush to my face and a smile spread across my face. "I've never had any siblings. But I've always wanted some. I really wish my mom would have let me know you and my father" I admit to him. I was afraid he would not agree but instead I see a smile crawl across his face as well, "I wish she would have too."

For once in my life I feel like I finally have a shot at a real family. My mom and I were a family and we always would be, but I get to have chance to get a brother and maybe a sister. I may not have parents anymore but I had siblings now or at least I might have siblings. I could see in Oliver's eyes that he was already considering me part of his family. I mean we still have a while before we have the bond that a brother and sister share, and we may never have that, but we still have a bond. I could feel it and I knew he could too.